shift lock actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having on going problems with the shifter locking in park. ( 99 Yukon)
My workaround is turning the key to the first position which lights up the P (park) indicator, but the truck is not 'on'.
Shift to neutral, start the engine, shift to drive and be on my way....repeat if necessary.
This is annoying to say the least.
My question is can I unplug the green/black wires on the shift lock control actuator. and eliminate the foot on brake to shift out of park, and drive normally?
Or can I disengage the shift lock control actuator at one end to accomplish the same thing?
Brake lights are working as is cruise control disengage.
I dont require this safety factor of foot on brake before shifting.
How difficult is it the replace the actuator? Anyone done this repair.
Again any assist is appreciated.
Ron

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I tried to disable the "press brake to shift out of Park" on my Trailblazer, I found that if I unhooked the wires, I could no longer remove the key from the lock cylinder.

Rat ********.

I'd have to bypass the brake switch so that the shift interlock was always "hot", and I wasn't willing to do that. Lost interest in the project and didn't do any more research.

How do you get the shifter to move when the key is "on"? Don't you still have to press the brake pedal?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can just pop the lockout mechanism off the shift linkage. Of course you won't have the nanny state protecting you from accidental shifts out of park.. beware

Richard

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
My truck doesn't have the actuator hooked up. I broke mine accidentally when I put the column in.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I tried to disable the "press brake to shift out of Park" on my Trailblazer, I found that if I unhooked the wires, I could no longer remove the key from the lock cylinder.

Rat ********.

I'd have to bypass the brake switch so that the shift interlock was always "hot", and I wasn't willing to do that. Lost interest in the project and didn't do any more research.

How do you get the shifter to move when the key is "on"? Don't you still have to press the brake pedal?
This works for my 99 Yukon.
In park, start engine, press brake, cant shift out of park.......
workaround is:
In park, turn key to first full position ...park position indicator comes on, in this position the vehicle is not 'HOT' yet, shift to neutral, start engine, shift to drive. When you stop you may have to repeat again, thats why I'm thinking the best thing to do is disengage the shift lock, and disregard accidental shifts.
YMMV....Ron

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Popped the 'park shift lock' off the shifter, all's well.
I did notice that even tho I dont have to press my foot on the brake pedal to shift from park, it is now a learned habit, and having the lock disconnected is not noticed.
Simply put, I had many a vehicle before the 'press brake to shift from park' was implemented, I re-call no problems without it.
Thanks to all.
Ron

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 96 Yukon I can pull the linkage rod out of the shift lock actuator that connects to the shifter linkage.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I change the actuator out on my 2000 K2500 once because I was having similar issues. After changing I still had issues.
I changed the brake light switch and have had no more issues. My brake lights and cruise worked with the old switch