Setting up my new system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a pioneer deh x6900bt. Currently its powering 4 kicker 4x10s in the factory single cab slots, and has a subwoofer powered by an amp from the SW plugs on the back. I recently purchased 2 kicker 6" speakers to fill a gap the previous owner had cut in the door. I bought an amp to power them, using the F L/R slots on the back of the receiver. The amp gets power, and the rca cable is intact, but it produces no sound from the speakers. Is there something special i have to do on the radio? Or is my amp not working?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you adjust the gain control on the amp? If it's turned all the way down you might not get any sound.

Just looked through the manual for that Pioneer, there shouldn't be any special settings to enable the pre-outs. Should work if everything is connected and adjusted properly.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You haven't mentioned anything about the remote on power wire, this is typically blue on the back of the head unit, either used for power antenna or turning on an amplifier. Are the RCA cables known good?

If you have an adapter from a headphone jack to stereo RCA's you can plug in a portable device directly to the amplifier to isolate that.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you adjust the gain control on the amp? If it's turned all the way down you might not get any sound.

Just looked through the manual for that Pioneer, there shouldn't be any special settings to enable the pre-outs. Should work if everything is connected and adjusted properly.
Gains at half currently

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You haven't mentioned anything about the remote on power wire, this is typically blue on the back of the head unit, either used for power antenna or turning on an amplifier. Are the RCA cables known good?

If you have an adapter from a headphone jack to stereo RCA's you can plug in a portable device directly to the amplifier to isolate that.
It has the amp control wire running both amps and capacitor. The amp turns on.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could reversed speaker wires be the culprit?
If not that, i would assume it would be the amp?

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'd check all the wires, maybe run 2 different control wires. Atleast that's what I did in my truck, then if that doesn't work try powering a different speaker. If nothing works you can always take your amp to bestbuy or another car audio place and they can test it out for you.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im thinking of having the wire off the radio running a relay to power everything up (2 amps and capacitor). Im not sure i have any other speakers that can handle the wattage the amp puts out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really sounds to me like you've got a hardware problem with either the amp or the pre outs on the head unit. Reversed speaker wires shouldn't cause complete silence, it just wouldn't sound right.

Also you really shouldn't need a relay on the remote wire for just two amps. Three or more devices is the general rule for when you need a relay there.

EDIT - Just noticed what you said about the capacitor. Never used one that had a remote wire... That's odd. The relay might not be a bad idea I suppose. Personally I hate all capacitors for car audio though. They're a terrible band aid that can actually make problems worse. If you're getting voltage drop, the proper fix is a stronger alternator and battery. Definitely not the cause of your problem but I always mention it if I see someone running a capacitor.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive noticed improved sound with the cap (which is only wired for the sub). Im currently running a 200amp alternator and have a brand new battery as well.