Setting #1 at TDC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As I am getting closer to finally getting the engine back in my 97 K1500(4.3L), I want to make sure that I have #1 at TDC on compression stroke, and that the distributor is set up correctly.

Now, I know that the timing on the Vortec engines are computer controlled, I just want to make sure that I have set correctly as much as I can. I have some questions though.

1. How do I know when #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke?
2. Should one of the two marks on the damper be lined up with the timing mark on the timing cover?
3. The "Vortec guy" I'm calling him, at the machine shop that did the machining on it, told me to have the rotor on the distributor pointing at #6 on the housing before I start it. Is this correct?

Although I do know about the finger-in-the hole trick, I haven't messed with anything timing in some time. So I just want to make sure that my ducks are in a row.

Here are some pictures for reference.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you installed your timing chain with the marks lined up, and the timing pointer is on TDC, then the distributor needs to be on #6.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media