SES light no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keenan

Reaction score
I have 98 OBS, just bought it. (it is my second obs, at least until my other one sells). No SES light on, hooked up OBD reader, and it had a couple of codes. I changed the bulb, still no light. Took it to a shop, said it needed a new PCM. Changed the PCM, SES light works. They fixed a couple of other things on the list and took it for a test drive to get emission tests to run. SES light comes on, however, there aren't any codes. Stated they were going to reprogram the PCM and see if that fixes it. Anyone run into this before?

Thanks in advance for the help.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind, there are different types of codes prefixed by B, C, P and U. I’m not sure what the proper names for each are, but a B would be for airbag, body or chassis type things, C for ABS, transmission, transfer case, P for pretty much any engine or emissions component.

A ‘P’ code may be all that some code readers can read. I’m not sure if a B or U will trip a check engine light, but I know that a C will.

That’s all to say to make sure that your reader is capable of pulling codes besides just P.

For 1998:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are other characters that go with the codes too, such as C for current and H for historical. There are others as well. If a code is only historical, it won't light up the SES. If it's current, then it will.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If C is for ABS, would it trip SES light or ABS light, maybe both? Just curious, never ran into an ABS code on my 97.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s a good point. Mine had an ABS code recently and only lit up the Anti-lock light - not the service engine soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk