Seatbelt compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyjim

Reaction score
Hey gentlemen!

I bought a RCSB truck as a project and the previous owner had no seatbelts in it. It’s proving difficult to find a set of red belts for a standard cab but found a dude selling a set for an extra cab. I know there a single retractor Vs dual but will the mounts/brackets and belts still work in a single cab?

Thanks in advance!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Totally different design on the extended cab, they're pretty much unique to that cab style (though I think they also fit 2dr SUV's Tahoe/Blazer/etc.)

You can widen your search to Suburbans and crew cabs. The year may matter as GM used two different suppliers over the years, Bendix and TRW. Of course that only really matters if you're trying to match belts with existing receivers, because the shape of the ends differs. If you're getting the whole setup, doesn't matter though the color shades may vary slightly between the years. 88-89, then 90-94, 95 has a couple unique colors, 96-up are pretty much the groups of color differences, in regards to interiors. The belts themselves may not have that many color variants.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Totally different design on the extended cab, they're pretty much unique to that cab style (though I think they also fit 2dr SUV's Tahoe/Blazer/etc.)

You can widen your search to Suburbans and crew cabs. The year may matter as GM used two different suppliers over the years, Bendix and TRW. Of course that only really matters if you're trying to match belts with existing receivers, because the shape of the ends differs. If you're getting the whole setup, doesn't matter though the color shades may vary slightly between the years. 88-89, then 90-94, 95 has a couple unique colors, 96-up are pretty much the groups of color differences, in regards to interiors. The belts themselves may not have that many color variants.

Richard
Crew cab belts are different than Suburbans,at least on the later styles. It might be "just" the covers, but those at least are different. I have to play with the ones for the back seats on Rawhide; they're sticking from lack of use before we had the truck. Finally located my big Torx bit sockets, just need to go mess with it..... I've been sitting in the middle of the back seat when we all go somewhere.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Crew cab belts are different than Suburbans,at least on the later styles. It might be "just" the covers, but those at least are different. I have to play with the ones for the back seats on Rawhide; they're sticking from lack of use before we had the truck. Finally located my big Torx bit sockets, just need to go mess with it..... I've been sitting in the middle of the back seat when we all go somewhere.
Huh! I'd be interested in knowing more. If I still had a yard full of trucks to go peek at I'd have the answer, but in my mind's eye they are the same mechanism and even the cover - regular cab, crew cab, and Suburban. Please do post some pics if you can, that way with something for my brain to grab onto I might remember better in the future. ;)

The extended cab belts are absolutely different as they have a more slim design that integrates with the B pillar plastic. You might be able to make them work but I haven't tried so I don't know if they will physically fit in the given space, unlikely they would look correct, though. Probably more possible for them to fit than the other way around, as I doubt a regular cab style belt would fit against an extended cab B pillar plastic.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Huh! I'd be interested in knowing more. If I still had a yard full of trucks to go peek at I'd have the answer, but in my mind's eye they are the same mechanism and even the cover - regular cab, crew cab, and Suburban. Please do post some pics if you can, that way with something for my brain to grab onto I might remember better in the future. ;)

The extended cab belts are absolutely different as they have a more slim design that integrates with the B pillar plastic. You might be able to make them work but I haven't tried so I don't know if they will physically fit in the given space, unlikely they would look correct, though. Probably more possible for them to fit than the other way around, as I doubt a regular cab style belt would fit against an extended cab B pillar plastic.

Richard
I took back seat unit out....and it just retracted more so now I can't reinstall it!!! But it looks like the front and back seat ones are the same unit, so that gives me options on replacement. How do I get this thing to unlock? It's completely off the truck, and all that was required to remove it was the two big bolts (T50 on this truck, '97 crew cab).

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't have the service manual , get it here it's free. If look in body section there are excellent photos, drawings of seatbelts for all models.
I had to replace the belts in my Tahoe. The tan color was no longer available. So I sent them to Seatbelts Plus, and had new belts installed on the hardware. Just like new.
Seatbelts are important, they are the last chance to save your life. Don't take shortcuts.
Good luck.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I took back seat unit out....and it just retracted more so now I can't reinstall it!!! But it looks like the front and back seat ones are the same unit, so that gives me options on replacement. How do I get this thing to unlock? It's completely off the truck, and all that was required to remove it was the two big bolts (T50 on this truck, '97 crew cab).
flip it over and shake the f out of it, or look and find the actual latch inside it and lift it to release the reel.
I had to do this on my drivers one to get it to pull back out. Been fine ever since.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
flip it over and shake the f out of it, or look and find the actual latch inside it and lift it to release the reel.
I had to do this on my drivers one to get it to pull back out. Been fine ever since.
Okay cool thanks, one of many things to work on tomorrow.... hoping to get the relay and stuff to get those driving lights on the truck!