Seatbelt compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I took back seat unit out....and it just retracted more so now I can't reinstall it!!! But it looks like the front and back seat ones are the same unit, so that gives me options on replacement. How do I get this thing to unlock? It's completely off the truck, and all that was required to remove it was the two big bolts (T50 on this truck, '97 crew cab).
There's little counterweights, or probably more appropiately, "plumb bobs" in the mechanism that lock them up when they're not sitting level. It's pretty much expected behavior when you have them out of the vehicle that they may not behave as expected, because a key part of the locking mechanism is out of place.

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's called an " inertia wheel" , how fast the belt unwinds determines how fast the flyweights move out and lock. Lean over to pick up sunglasses as you hit a small bump or railroad crossings and it locks. You didn't think it was moving that fast, but the science works.
Newest late model vehicles, front airbags, side airbags, complex seat belt retractors, impact door unlock . Once these seatbelts function in crash or impact they should go to a qualified repair facility like, " Seatbelts Plus " , or similar facility.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's called an " inertia wheel" , how fast the belt unwinds determines how fast the flyweights move out and lock. Lean over to pick up sunglasses as you hit a small bump or railroad crossings and it locks. You didn't think it was moving that fast, but the science works.
Newest late model vehicles, front airbags, side airbags, complex seat belt retractors, impact door unlock . Once these seatbelts function in crash or impact they should go to a qualified repair facility like, " Seatbelts Plus " , or similar facility.
Odd thing; when going around a sweeping right hand curve, my seatbelt will lock and prevent a shoulder check. Happens in my 2000 sierra and my '94 Isuzu box truck. Super sensitive machanisms.