SCLB 2500 to ECSB: can it be done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zabo

Reaction score
Now I know its fully possible to yank a full cab and bed and swap em over, people do it with rollovers all the time. My question is this..

Components:
1 fully running 97 K2500HD SCLB (8') that needs a bed and cab. Low miles
1 fully running 94-98 K1500 ECSB (6.5') with a good cab and bed to donate. High miles
1 guy who has no clue on 'how doez I swap da bedz?'

Could I hypothetically swap over the cab and bed of the ECSB to the K2500 long bed frame? Or would I have to resort to a stepside bed? For me I'm trying to build a good DD/family truck that I can tow my TA to shows and go trail running in, bed space isn't all that important.

Crack head clusterf**k or is it possible?

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
frames are completely different be alot of cutting welding and making brackets and so on. Why not swap running gear and motor from the long bed into the short bed?

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
It can be done. The 4x4 guys do crazy stuff all the time.

I'm not familiar with the differences, but the back of the cab might fit the frame. Chances are you will have to lengthen the frame also.

Short answer: It's a chit load of work. :lol:

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear cab mounts are different and further back on the frame. The frame kicks up further back on the ext cab. The frame is relatively flat where the bed is bolted on, so your long bed frame would need extensive modifications to make it all work.

If you are swapping '96-'00 K2500 to '96-'00 K2500 things are relatively easy. Since you mentioned '94-'98' ecsb and you are starting with a '97 truck, you have to be really careful mixing '94 and earlier stuff with '95 and later stuff. The entire cab, wiring, electronics, etc are entirely different in the later trucks.

I'm not saying it is impossible, anything can be done, but it will be a major undertaking.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
THE WISE MAN ENTERS THE ROOM :worship:

"Anything can be done.

But is everything worth it?"

THE WISE MAN EXITS THE ROOM :worship:

Zabo

Reaction score
For the most part the cab itself would be going on while all electronics (dash cluster too) from the 97 (ODB I vs OBD II) would replace them; truck itself still wearing the vin and registering as a 97. I didn't know the frame had bends under the cab to accommodate the cab mounts, which was why I asked. I know the 2500 frames are beefier and this 2500 was ordered as an HD plow truck.

That's the primary reason for the swap, wanted all the HD components (which work) but wanted extra space and could have a good ECSB to donate a cab and bed. If its too much a pain and easier to just upgrade the truck I may just use the 2500 as a total donor and convert the truck to OBD II and retrofit it to a manual TC since the K2500 came with an electronic one.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I'm sure this swap COULD be done but in all honesty i think you're going to open up a mess with wiring harnesses and all..

Transferring everything over would be a pain...

Hell swapping parts from a 93 3500 to my 94 3500 is hard enough!!