SAS or NOT!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. THe only real off roading I'd ever do in my Z is occasionally riding dirt roads or having to pull someone out of the ditch, etc...

Tiki

Reaction score
Off-roading with modern trucks is kinda silly. My obs had 37's and could go through alot of "deep" stuff, but really it was not that amazing. I went through the SFA vs IFS lift many a days. Comes down to SFA being alot of money, and if you are not dedicated to 1) Spend alot of time on your truck 2) Keep your truck for a long time or 3) Drop alot of coin on a 10+ year old vehicle, its pry not the best idea. My NBS I might do an ifs lift, just because I do like the gained visibility, larger tires, and ability to scoot around offroad. IFS lifts are not all that bad. The likely terrain we will cover in a 88+ vehicle, pry isn't going to necessitate a complete suspension overhaul. Bubba, *******, and plenty of other members have shown real world results of IFS wheelin'. The sas becomes a bigger problem if you simply go to a D44 up front. A sfa vehicle with a D44 will be more capable, but when you add big nasty tires and lockers your going to have problems with breakage down the line. Really if your investing a few thousand dollars to do a sas, you should spend the extra coin to do a D60.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
havent read any of this thread but sas can be had for the price of an ifs lift... stick around a couple months and ill show you :secret:

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
havent read any of this thread but sas can be had for the price of an ifs lift... stick around a couple months and ill show you :secret:

If you shop around for deals, fab your own stuff and keep it simple I don't doubt Cajun. I picked up my Dana 60 for $70 and my FF14 for $80. Looking forward to seein what you have up your sleeves Cajun.

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ok good so you're going to finally fix me up hmm?

Azdrtdog

Reaction score
Hell no i put thousands into my sas and i planned on doing it on the cheap also. Springs front/rear$1000+, Bracket kit $700+,Brake line kit$250,Shocks$350,Drivelines $600+,Pitmanarm draglink tierods$350+ Are you starting to get what i overlooked

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point, many people under assume the costs of a big project like a offroad-worthy SAS.

brianZ71

Reaction score
It's all the little stuff that adds up. a good rule of thumb is add up everything you can think of, and double that. unless you have 6+ months to have your truck apart as you find the best deals on everything. because you don't know exactly what you need till you get the IFS stripped and the axle mocked up. i'm $4k into my swap with a D60/coiled 3 link, and i expect to spend another $4k at least.

also factor in the cost of wheels, and tires if you're using newer axles that require bigger wheels than what you have. brake lines, steering, driveshaft(s), and hardware will also sneak up and bite you in the ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ObsGus