SAS or NOT!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lets see im not even close to getting everything for my truck but so far
$800 for HP D60
$600 + for Locking hubs, Kingpin Rebuilds, and 35 spline stubs and
$1k for ARB and Compressor
$250 or so for 5.38 yukons
$100 for master install kit

Then factor in the fact that my truck was already 3/4ton so i already had a 14ff but have modified it with a
Detroit Locker$450
Yukon 5.38's and Install kit were like $300

I also already had rims and tires
Tires $1800
and i forget rims
SO in theory i have around $5300 so far. Now granted i alreaedy had the rims, tires and the rear axle geared due to the current lift but i still have to order
PSC Hydro Assist $100
King/Fox/Sway Away Coilovers $600
Tubing and Heims $???
Pitman and Steering arms $250
All my rear lift **** $???
Rear disk conversion
Front Rotors and Calipers
and all the nickle and dime BS like hose, lines, fittings, fluids etc

It adds up

I am lucky in the fact that i do have some stuff to sell like my current lift and cv's and etc which will help but i still have a lot of out of pocket expenses

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
yea pulling off an all out offroad rig solid axle swap from scratch is gonna cost some money, i know this from experience... but any all out offroad rig period is gonna cost alot reguardless, solid axle from the factory or not

now pullin off a simple/reliable DD inspired SAS with still top of the line parts but in a sensable manor can be done on the comparable cheap... just front swap/rear lift compared to IFS lift and rear lift... no rear axle swap, complelete and utter rebuilds or high dollar lockers etc

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah im leaning toward it being pretty cheap being i already have all the parts...axle ect just need springs driveshaft some steering i assume and the ORU kit...but im expecting to pay about 1500 bucks.

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might have a deal on a Cepek lift for $800, installed.
Talking to the guy today. All I'd need is shocks and U-bolts.

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The costs you don't see are steering, front driveshaft and shocks and t-case unless you find a 78-79 F-250 D44.

The other items are whether or not you rebuild that 30 year old housing and parts and regearing as no ford axle came with 3.42's.

word. Even without buying a t case I dont see how people do it cheap.

Im going to have well over 4 grand into mine not including wheels and tires. And I paid 125 for my rearend and 50 for my front end.

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just talked to the guy about the Cepek.
Its a full kit, minus rear Ubolts and a set of shocks.
He said he could have it installed in a bout 5 hours, for $1000+- with everything including shocks and ubolts, etc. Road ready.

Or I can pick it up for $400 and do it myself..

?????

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do it yourself! its cheaper! and youll feel better about it! if you dont know how then read up on it and learn how. i love going at things i have never done!

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I won't be doing it alone, for sure. A guy 2 houses down had installed lifts on several trucks around here.
He said he was willing to tackle it, but it'll probably take him most of a weekend to do it. Other guy said I could drop it off Friday morning, pick it up Friday afternoon

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it just a lift kit? i understand if you dont have tools that always makes it too hard to do on your own, but i would do it with the guy down the street and see if you can get involved with it. i atleast like to be a part of whats going on so the next truck i have i can do on my own. i lifted my 07 when i had it, at my friends house with his tools. i had never done a lift on my own, and belive me its really hard to take a brand brand new truck and start pulling all kinds of parts off of it when there was nothing wrong with the old ones! lol but once you do it your glad you got to learn, atlest i am anyways!

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
i'd say take it down the street jay, get in there and help him out to. yah it would be nice ot have it done in a few hours, but at least when something breaks (which it will, i've seen your pics lol) you will have all the knowledge you need to fix it yourself. which is just saving yourself even more money in the end. either way i can't wait to see it done, if i could find that lift up here for $400 there wouldn't even be a post on here, just finished pics.