SAS dana ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badassformula383lt1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking bout trading my trans am for a 98 ext cab short bed z71, has a SAS with dana 44, and a 14 bolt rear, stock push button transfer case and front shaft is not hooked up crossmember needs modded and gears need swapped. How strong are these 44s? has 6 inch suspension 3 inch body and baldish 36s or 37s. If i got it i would go with 38 superswampers. Anything i should look out for or pay attention to?

thanks.

Red97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the drive shaft prob isn't hooked up because they don't make a yoke for the np243 for a cv. you have to modify a np 208 yoke and get a shaft made. with 6" springs a single u-joint shaft will bind real bad. your looking at 300 is for the shaft and a yoke. plus the yoke needs be be modified. then 1000$ for new gears and install kits. A dana 44 will be fine for daily driving or light wheeling with 38's but that's about it.

badassformula383lt1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the gears are easy, only the dana needs swapped, but that's simple ****. Now the drive shaft sounds like a pita. So a dana 44 would be bad for a 38 super swamper in the mud? How much money and extra work would it be swapping in a dana 60? Im a newbie "kinda" to 4x4s. But been building engines and cars completely for years.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
i have a dana 44 and had 38s and have been through mud a handful of times and its held up pretty well. but if you were going to crawl and constantly romp it every weekend you may want to upgrade. food for thought a dana 60 depending on the side the pumpkin is on changes the price. i know a 94 is driver side drop so i need a 75-79 f350 dana 60 and ive found those going for $1,600 just for the complete axle and then add new parts and gears on top of that. but bottom line a dana 44 should hold up pretty well and i have the stock tcase with a front drive shaft with a single u-joint at top and bottom and its at its limits and im on a 11" lift. so 6" maybe safe