RV Cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so maybe I mis-read this so someone correct me if I'm wrong.... You can install & run the HT383 cam in a stock L31 Vortec without a tune/stock converter & be ok if thats the only change you make to engine internals? I'd love to get some more out of this engine with minimal mods. And I consider cam only minimal, LOL.

Reason I ask is b/c on my LS1 I'm running a H/C/I set-up on a stock tune & 87 octane & people thought I was nuts & gonna blow my up but its been together for almost 4yrs now & close to 80k miles. So I didnt think it impossible with the L31 either, figured I'd ask. Granted my WS6 is a 6-speed which changes the game some.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I won't ever run a car with a cam without a tune. You aren't getting anything out of it if it's on a stock tune. Expecially with heads and intake to match. BTW I miss having a lsx. i had a 00 Z28 running 13.0's with free mods and a mild HPTuners tune. I always ran 93 in it.

For this cam to work you will need to get a pcm reflash. But other then that it's a bolt in app.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I won't ever run a car with a cam without a tune. You aren't getting anything out of it if it's on a stock tune. Expecially with heads and intake to match. BTW I miss having a lsx. i had a 00 Z28 running 13.0's with free mods and a mild HPTuners tune. I always ran 93 in it.

For this cam to work you will need to get a pcm reflash. But other then that it's a bolt in app.

Ummm, I'm getting plenty from my set-up. It runs perfectly fine on the stock tune its just leaving alot on the table. But its still enough to eat a C6 LS2 Vette for breakfast by 4th gear. I was running 13.0/12.9 @ 108mph with just free mods & Longtubes, no tune. Once I did the H/C/I swap the only pass I made was on street tires & blew them off through 3rd & still managed a 13.1 @ 114mph. So its got the power & mph for a mid 12 second pass as it sits un-tuned, with a tune probably a low 12. But we have good DA here in Tulsa too which helps.

I didnt do like most & throw the biggest cam I could in there though. I'm running a set of stock 5.3 heads port/polished & milled .018" with the bigger stock intake valve from the 241 head cut for low lift flow. Cam is a baby 224/224 .581/.581 114 LSA , LS6 intake & port/polished stock TB. Springs are Patriot Gold duals, stock rockers & hardened 7.400" pushrods. Exhaust is Pacesetter 1 3/4" race LT's with TSP 3" ORY & Hooker Aerochamber muffler.

Been driving it like this almost 4yrs now & about 80k miles without a single issue. So it CAN be done safely but you gotta match your parts right. Thats why I asked about this cam cause it seemed on the small side. I'll just wait on this truck though until I get the 0411 PCM swap done then. This stock PCM system seems to suck pretty bad, LOL.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
My car with a Catback, tune and longtubes was running 12.4 with a girl in it.. Did i mention it had well over 160k miles on stock everything...?

I won't run anything too far on aftermarket stuff without getting it tuned.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My car with a Catback, tune and longtubes was running 12.4 with a girl in it.. Did i mention it had well over 160k miles on stock everything...?

I won't run anything too far on aftermarket stuff without getting it tuned.

Was it a stalled auto? Hard to see a stock LS car with catback & tune only running 12.4 in the quarter. Been around too many of them for too long. Good friend of mine had a auto Z28 with only a Ed Wright tune, BBK TB, lid & 3.73's & he ran consistant 12.7's on 93 gas. With a 120 shot from a NOS 5177 kit it was running consistent 11.7's with all runs made on Nitto 555 DR's. Once he got a Yank 3600 and retune it was running 12.3-12.5 on motor only same tires.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Ok, so maybe I mis-read this so someone correct me if I'm wrong.... You can install & run the HT383 cam in a stock L31 Vortec without a tune/stock converter & be ok if thats the only change you make to engine internals? I'd love to get some more out of this engine with minimal mods. And I consider cam only minimal, LOL.

Reason I ask is b/c on my LS1 I'm running a H/C/I set-up on a stock tune & 87 octane & people thought I was nuts & gonna blow my up but its been together for almost 4yrs now & close to 80k miles. So I didnt think it impossible with the L31 either, figured I'd ask. Granted my WS6 is a 6-speed which changes the game some.

You would get more out of Tuning without a cam then you would a cam without tuning. You would get a lot more actually.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would get more out of Tuning without a cam then you would a cam without tuning. You would get a lot more actually.

So thats how sensitive this platform is, hmmm. I'm guessing GM left alot on the table in stock form with these trucks then. Plus I'm new at the auto game too & I know that effects alot compared to a stick. Maybe I'll look more into that 0411 PCM swap first then & follow it up with a HT383. I dont wanna get to extensive with this as its a daily driver but it definitely needs more get up & go than it has now.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Nope stock everything. did egr delete air delete opened up air box, gutted cats. and a tune. that's it. didn't even have a shift kit, just turned the pressures up. and i was on toyo proxes tires haha bald as hell too.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Again all im looking for out of this cam is for a little more torque... And as of today i think i am out of a job. So this will def take longer then expected.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope stock everything. did egr delete air delete opened up air box, gutted cats. and a tune. that's it. didn't even have a shift kit, just turned the pressures up. and i was on toyo proxes tires haha bald as hell too.

I'd have to see a slip to believe that cause if so you got the fastest bone stock LS1 in the country. I have been on LS1tech for 7yrs now & keep track of the fastest stock internal list from the forum & various events around the country.

Sux about the job man, sorry to hear that.