Rust repair on work truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought used OEM fender flares from a junkyard to cover up rusted wheel wells.

I held the fender flare in place and traced it. I wanted the metal repair to be hidden under the flare.

I bought a patch panel. It was about $35. I should have saved my money and just patched in pieces of 18 guage. This Chinese part didn't fit right.

I cut it down so it would be completely covered by the fender flare. Traced the piece.

Cut out out the rusty part. I used the scraps from the patch panel to repair rusted spots on the wheel well underneath. I just forgot to take a picture of that.

I test fit the piece many times and kept grinding till it fit right This took a lot of time. I think this is important to take the time to dothis.

I tack welded in place. I tried to keep the metal from getting too hot and warping.

I went real slow with the welding to prevent the metal from warping. Drilled the holes for the flares.

I ground the weld down some. I just ground down the high spots in general. I didn't care how it looked cause it's hidden. Sprayed Rust-Oleum on primer and then burgundy color.

The flare covers all the patch work and has nice solid 18 gauge to bolt to. I'm not particular about how it looks. I just work with it. I might paint the whole truck with a roller in the spring. If I cared, I would have masked it off so the overspray didn't show.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the title said rust repair on a work truck, I expected this.

This was $300 my '88 C1500 POS that I fixed using license plates.