Rust above windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 2 layers are spot welded together, but once the windshield is out you should be able to access all the rust. Worat case A pillar trim and headliner will be in the way, but I kinda doubt it. The guy that did the windshield in my dually had this thick ass urethane that he swabbed over top of the porous primer. He put a lot of love into sealing everything back up and laying it on very evenly with a crisp edge but I suspect not everyone does such clean work. Once he has the windshield out he'll be in a **** and a sweat to get the new one on as I imagine those guys do piece work.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had very good results by soaking rusted areas with metal prep on a rag,if there is deep rust but no holes keeping a paper towel or rag wet with prep or phosphoric acid for a few hours then nuetralizing with baking soda and water before cleaning with a wire wheel can give some amazingly clean metal. Still not as effective as cutting out and welding new metal but it will help to put off a major repair better than watching it rust. I agree removing windshields is the only proper repair but he is looking for a temp fix. I have a glass shop that will remove the glass then come back and install new when I am done repairing. I have even drivin to their shop had glass removed and drivin back to my shop with glasses on and no windshield, get lots of looks doing that. Rust is a common problem where I live as we are a peninsula sticking out in salt ocean with winter road salt as a bonus.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of getting the tool that removes the windshield. I need to yank the windshiwld on my Camaro to replace the dash (cage in the way of doing it normally), remove some sound deadening material, and paint the red metal a non-reflective black of some sort.

Reaction score
Years back when I bought my truck, it needed a windshield to pass safety inspection. Got a call from the glass shop that he couldn't install the new one, due to rust. So they taped the old glass back in, and I took it to a body shop to get checked out. It wasn't so bad that they had to weld in new metal, luckily. But they ground it out, treated it, and used ... damned if I can remember the name of it, but a very specific type of primer for that application around windshields that allows the urethane to form a proper bond.

Apparently it's a common problem from glass guys who don't quite know what they're doing cutting out an old windshield and gouging the surface behind it. They slather on the urethane and assume it's all good. But water eventually gets in, rusts it out. 4 years on from the repair, still no signs of rust where they cleaned it up and fixed it. Just wish I could remember what type of primer it was that they used. I'm sure someone here probably knows though. It was an extra 150 bucks or so on top of the glass, but worth it.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years back when I bought my truck, it needed a windshield to pass safety inspection. Got a call from the glass shop that he couldn't install the new one, due to rust. So they taped the old glass back in, and I took it to a body shop to get checked out. It wasn't so bad that they had to weld in new metal, luckily. But they ground it out, treated it, and used ... damned if I can remember the name of it, but a very specific type of primer for that application around windshields that allows the urethane to form a proper bond.

Apparently it's a common problem from glass guys who don't quite know what they're doing cutting out an old windshield and gouging the surface behind it. They slather on the urethane and assume it's all good. But water eventually gets in, rusts it out. 4 years on from the repair, still no signs of rust where they cleaned it up and fixed it. Just wish I could remember what type of primer it was that they used. I'm sure someone here probably knows though. It was an extra 150 bucks or so on top of the glass, but worth it.
Good to know. After I pay off my credit card (oh so close) I'm going to start taking a look at getting this repaired.

I've been watching this thread over the past few days, but now I have to pick between my Suburban or my '68 Chrysler Newport. Got it shipped to Colorado and didn't realize the carrier damaged the roof (ironically on the same body line as the Suburban) until after I signed the bill of landing. I'm just going to let my insurance battle this one out with the carriers insurance and hope for the best lol

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Probably 3m single step primer. Just used it for my quarter glass install on Saturday. It’s about $50 for a small bottle.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only way to remove a windshield that is glued in without breaking it is with a wire and a couple handles to pull on. That gives you about a 50% chance of not breaking it. But a bigger chance of cutting the dash pad or trim pieces inside. I did my own glass work for years and even have the tools to do it but don't bother any more as a good glass guy makes it easy. New glass is not that expensive for these trucks.

Reaction score
Agreed Bob. These trucks have some of the least expensive glass you can replace. One of the advantages of them being a) very popular and b) unchanged for a solid decade!