Rust above windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I was very sad when I saw that my burb has some rust going on right above the windshield, bubbling a little bit on the roof. I've been putting it off for months since I just don't have the money to get it repaired. Well, today I noticed that the paint was starting to peel off around the rust. The good news is that the rust doesn't seem to have spread too far! But the bad news is, it looks bad (to me, anyway).

I don't know anything about body work or rust removal. So my question is: could I do anything to prevent this rust from spreading? It's going to take a few paychecks and most likely a tax return for me to get this repaired, unfortunately. Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with:
https://imgur.com/BouHxwm
https://imgur.com/X8Vvsq7
https://imgur.com/owKENOL

Would I possibly be able to use a rust converter on the rust over the water channel over the door then use touch up paint over that for a temporary fix?

And what do you guys think I'd have to do to repair the rust over the windshield? I definitely need a temporary solution to prevent it from getting worse. But I do intend on repairing it down the line, which will probably kill the wallet. The rust of the truck is pretty solid so I'd have for it to turn into a rust bucket :p

Many thanks!

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
If I were dealing with rust like that I'd probably just sand it down to bare metal, run a bead of silicone or some such around the window gasket where the rust it, then paint it with a good primer that helps prevent rust and then throw on the final coat of paint/clear coat.
I don't know how well that would work though; I don't really have to deal with any sort of rust on my current truck.

Luckily it's not too terribly bad. I know some trucks that are completely rotted out at that body line.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That windshield needs to come out. There's going to be a lot of rust underneath it as well. At some point the windshield places either won't replace your windshield or won't stand by their own install because of the rust.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like there indeed will be quite some rust along the window frame, some new metal needed I’m afraid :(

-J

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can wire brush off a lot of the rust, and treat it with Ospho rust converter, but you need to remove almost all of the rust first. As bowtiebrody said, you may even need to sand it some first. Primer is what you need to put over the bare metal, but you need to put paint on top of that, even if it is cheap paint and temporary. Primer is porous to let the paint stick to it, so it will also let moisture in eventually. Then there is the issue of what is under the windshield gasket. You may get lucky and be able to pry the gasket back enough to get to the end of the rust line, but if not, then, yes the windshield needs to be removed. You have to get ride of all of the rust, or it will come back.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
He needs more than a wire brush to get that off. I had nothing peeking out of the windshield but enough inside to necessitate a grinding wheel to knock it down to bare metal.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He needs more than a wire brush to get that off. I had nothing peeking out of the windshield but enough inside to necessitate a grinding wheel to knock it down to bare metal.
I'm talking about a wire brush on a grinder, not a hand wire brush. If that doesn't get the rust off, then it can be scraped off, then buffed off with a wire brush on a grinder.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

By the time you grind the rust from any pitted metal you will be needing to patch it. To do a temp fix I agree with the wire wheel and ospho treatment. Then either primer or por-15 then topcoat. Windshield will need to come out for proper repair.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
By the time you grind the rust from any pitted metal you will be needing to patch it. To do a temp fix I agree with the wire wheel and ospho treatment. Then either primer or por-15 then topcoat. Windshield will need to come out for proper repair.

Not to repair what you see, but to repair all the rust that's definitely under the windshield that you can't see will definitely require windshield removal. That's a repair that, in this case, is likely best not to leave to the windshield guy. Scale will not come off with a wire brush either.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, it for sure sounds like the windshield will be coming out. I guess my other question is what about rust under what metal I can access? Isn't it pinch welded where the windshield is adhered?