rock sliders/steps, who has made a set????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, here is a quick Autocad sketch, I pulled some dimensions & this design should fit, I made a cardboard template & it looked good to me. It will need some tweaking but I think its a good solid design. Now I gotta start sourcing materials, priced out buying it all is around $500, so I'm goin through some scrap piles at a few shops that build pressure vessels for us.

Here ya go. This puts the step about 4" outside the body. The 3x3 runs the full length of the cab to the rear wheel well & the last 45* angle support should be strong enough to support it from being bent up into the bed potientially. Tire clearance wont be a issue even at full flex in any direction, I thought about that when layin it out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I like it, are you setting the rec tube ontop of the pipe or welding it in at the same level, either way i like it... i wish i would have thought of bracing mine that way to cover the bed

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a end view, the end with the pipe/elbow could be angled up as desired to follow the contour of the rocker if desired. You'd just have to adjust the pipe length to account for the angle change.

You must be registered for see images attach

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I can guarantee you if it's welded properly you won't be able to rip it off the frame with a tractor!

zraffz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've made a set for a K10 and a Cherokee... both were rock crawlers and have came down very hard onto the sliders without doing any damage to the sliders, frame or rockers.
Good welds, grade 8 bolts and 1/4" square tube. Cherokee was my toy, didn't even gusset the sliders and they held up.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Bggrnchvy I love those sliders. I'm looking at something similar to that for my truck. And I love the set up of your truck. I need to start making mine more protected so I can wheel with a sense of a little more protection

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I like the design, glad to see a gusset and everything.. I may have to modify mine a little diferent now. mine just bolts on with heavy plates. same idea tho

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I originally had 1/4x6x6 plates with (4) 1/2" cap bolts w/nuts & washers. But after goin out & pulling the dimensions off the truck thats just too much to attach to the frame really. So I deleted the plates, kept the gussets & chose to just have the 2x2 tubing weld direct to the frame. If it ever needs to come off I'll grab a grinder, LOL.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made a set for a K10 and a Cherokee... both were rock crawlers and have came down very hard onto the sliders without doing any damage to the sliders, frame or rockers.
Good welds, grade 8 bolts and 1/4" square tube. Cherokee was my toy, didn't even gusset the sliders and they held up.

Alrighty:jester:

Oh and Mike, put in a bigger gusset. That little thing 1-1/2" plate isn't doing hardly a thing, take advantage of the vertical space and span.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, I thought about beefing them up but I have seen some little gussets like that hold things you wouldn't believe. I'm having all those laser cut from one of our material suppliers for super cheap, so making them a little bigger wont cost me much. I'm still looking around for scraps & drops to piece these together. We have one of our fab shop owners coming in today for a meeting on a new job & I'm gonna toss him a print & get a quote for the welding since I dont have a welder myself.