rock sliders/steps, who has made a set????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinkin about making a set of my own, I have found a few pics when searching & have a basic idea in my head. Luckily I'm a Autocad draftsman so I can draw up a set of prints & bill of materials. I dont have a welder so I'll most likely just have one of our fab shops weld it up on the side & order my material through my job. I already got for pricing on the 3x2x1/4 & 2x2x1/4 square tubing. I'm goin for cab protection & full cab length steps.

If anyone else has made a set post up, I only found 2 threads on here with this topic. I know there has to be more OBS owners out there that have made some instead of paying $300 for a set of crap pop can tubing steps.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, my idea is a 3x2 piece running the full cab length & back to in front of the rear tire under the rocker with about a 45* angle up off the outside edge so the full length step (2x2) will sit about 1/4" below the door sill. That should give me rocker protection on the side & under the cab/bed. It'll be connected to the frame with 4-5 supports (2x2)/bracket plates, each plate with 3 bolts through the frame so if its ever damaged or needs to come off it'll be removable. I got the idea from a set made from regular pipe instead of the square tubing.

With the condition of my rockers now I'd like to keep them in good shape for many more years, as of now no dents or rust.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
my rockers are bitched now but i just keep filling holes with bedliner lol. only thing with running it right to the back wheel is the frame kinda dissappears up into the bed and theres not much to mount on.. thats why mine only go that far. I plan on modifying mine so the round tube just sticks out in 2 spots kinda like little steps, since i have fender flares on now the mudflap wouldnt do much anyways. be sure whatever you do to keep it away from the body like 3/8" for flex.. i put mine right tight and it sucked.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, I still have to go out & pull a tape on the truck for my measurements & cut some cardboard templates. I'm gonna make sure I design these right the first time. I'll make sure everything mounts solid to the frame. If I cant get it to run the full length I'm thinkin in my head I'll alter it as it needs to be as I go before starting the build.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason Payne built these to spec for me back in '04 before I picked up a welder.

You must be registered for see images attach

Box tube ot the frame or runners in addition to the 1-1/2" round ones going to the top of the frame would be a good idea. I put a gentle bend in most of the ones I have before I tied them into the bed cage/exo.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats pretty similar to my thoughts except all made from square tubing. I was thinking about plates with (4) 3/4" bolts holding it to the frame at each attachment point, so 16-20 bolts total per side instead of welding it to the frame so if its ever damaged it can be removed easily. I was also thinking about top/bottom gusset supports where the leg would attach to the plate thats bolting to the frame, this should help resist bending.

Once I have a rough drawing done I'll upload a PDF of it.

SC REBEL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Jason Payne built these to spec for me back in '04 before I picked up a welder.

Box tube ot the frame or runners in addition to the 1-1/2" round ones going to the top of the frame would be a good idea. I put a gentle bend in most of the ones I have before I tied them into the bed cage/exo.

Those look really good. I want to do this at some point. I have all the tools and metal that's necessary, just have to find the time and make up my mind.