Roadside Repair Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I've seen bits and pieces of this sort of thing in many threads and posts. How about in one location?
What's your GMT400 equipped with for your roadside repairs? Tools (5.5mm sockets or nut driver)? Parts (spare icm)?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well, for me and my Burb, I have a ziploc bag in the passenger door pocket that has the wrenches for the battery terminals and the torx screwdriver (T20 I think) for the distributor cap and rotor screws. Screwdriver just the right length to fit in the firewall dimple.
In the .50 caliber ammo box in the cargo area, there's more styles of flathead and Phillips screwdrivers, and 1/4" and 3/8" Craftsman ratchets. Extensions, deep and shallow sockets, pliers, etc.,all organized where I can (usually)easily access them.
Also in the back, next to the box, is the long 3/8" drive pry bar for the belt tensioner, a hammer, a rubber mallet, a thin Vaughan Superbar pry bar (gets in tight places and I can lean on it cause it's American made good steel). Telescoping lug wrench in its case, and the Craftsman 4 way lug wrench is under the spare tire cover. Right now there's a plastic bucket back there too with some other tools that I've been carrying. As for parts, right now, just a spare belt. Duct tape and baling wire of course, still a few things you can fix with them.....

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a toolbox behind the cab that someone had added to the truck before I bought it. I restored the locks and now keep a set of sockets, pull handle extra belt etc. Also my "Junkyard bag" lives in there about half the time or more. I had belts done when I had the AC restored last Summer so I should be good there for a while. I keep a solar charger on the battery for times I am not driving it much.

EDIT... after reading some of the posts following this one I am reminded of my old pal Wallly, who drove a VW. His dad was looking for something and happened to open the trunk (hood) of Wally's VW and there nestled on the spare tire was a neatly folded blanket. He asked Wally about it and his reply was ... "Well dad you never know when you might have an emergency that calls for a blanket". No more questions were asked!

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...Yes. Lol!
What is in your vehicle to make you feel better about the chances of making back home? I know we can't plan for everything, but what's your must-haves?

And I'm not talking about the 1911 in your glovebox.

Well for me under passenger seat is a 1st aid kit and tow strap. Driver rear door I have a basic socket set. Underneath the floor I got a storage box for pipe wrench, hoses, gloves, and bullets lol. Rear cargo I got stuff I need for jumping, tire change, straps , misc tools. In my 3ed row seat I got jack, tools, and gloves from factory lol. Under hood I got misc fluids. Oil/power steering. Oh and knife and plumbers tape. Under driver seat I got my rain jacket and towel.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Flashlight, jumper cables, and fire extinguisher. If it's anything that those three can't solve, the AAA card comes out. I'd much rather troubleshoot things at home in the driveway or garage than on the side of the road somewhere.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Two taped together nut drivers with the socket to pull the dist cap.
one long, one short
Also works for the icm
Spare icm and heat paste.
Spare coil.
A couple of spare wires and plugs.
Spare rotor.
Spare cap.
Fuel pump relay.
Wire and crimps.
Bailing wire
Duct tape
200 pounds of tools
Ratchet straps
A big damn hammer
And enough water and coolant to refill the system twice.
But not the premix stuff.
Learned this the hard way in Arizona.
The truck might get jacked up enough that you need the water.
And steel friggen jerry cans.
Your toolbox will fly out and pop yer plastic jugs and then you are just a thirsty pedestrian miles from the bus stop
And AAA tow coverage if you get back to the road.
They dont tow yer ass from the dirt.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well for me under passenger seat is a 1st aid kit and tow strap. Driver rear door I have a basic socket set. Underneath the floor I got a storage box for pipe wrench, hoses, gloves, and bullets lol. Rear cargo I got stuff I need for jumping, tire change, straps , misc tools. In my 3ed row seat I got jack, tools, and gloves from factory lol. Under hood I got misc fluids. Oil/power steering. Oh and knife and plumbers tape. Under driver seat I got my rain jacket and towel.
Yes I have jumper cables, gloves and extra fluids. And rags and paper towels for cleaning up messes. I want to get an underhood box to keep the bottles and funnels in, so I don't have to make laps around the truck every morning LOL. But need to take care of some other things first. No point putting a box in if the washer bottle under it needs changing. I usually have a couple of the big pieces of cardboard that I use for oil changes too, cause you can't always find a clean place to need to get under the truck.....