Rewire 1998 doors on a 1990 harness. I am stuck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nessygl

Reaction score
HI,
I am a noob to this forum. I have picked up a lot of tips (you guys know your stuff). I am in the process of restoring a 1990 stepside. I really want to upgrade the interior to the 1998 model. So far so good. Except The doors I am having a very hard time understanding how I can get the power options to work. To tell you the truth I only really want windows up and down. But would like it to look tight and nice and if I can get it all to work than so be it. Anyway any help or advice or do I have to ditch it and find 1990 doors. This might be a dumb question to most but all I can do is ask.

Thank You
Nessygl

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need to get the 95-98 door panels. The doors are the same. You will also need a wiring harness for the doors.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The doors are different but people have put new interior panels on old doors it can be done

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The doors are mostly the same (a couple differences in vents), but the inner panels are different-and interchangeable. You need to use the correct door panel for whatever inner panel you are using. As far as getting your electrical stuff to work, just get a wiring diagram and figure out where power is needed and where your grounds go.

nessygl

Reaction score
I Put on the new doors. The problem I am having is the hook ups. before I dig into it. I have the old harness hooked up still tucked inside the new doors. is it as simples as splicing the orginal harness into the new harness to make sure all the power is correct.

nessygl

Reaction score
No not the whole dash. the problem I am having is the instrument cluster. so I am replacing what trim I can.

nessygl

Reaction score
That's the problem. I might have to pay some one to come and do this for me. I look at the diagram and it make no sense to me . Why the heck did the go that extreme in the wiring. from 89-94