Review my overhaul setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ole girl is drinking oil more and more by the day, and as it's my daily driver it's getting closer and closer to time to give her a refresh. Conveniently for my budget, my ole man is getting ready to swap the 355 we built in his 70 El Camino for an LS3. I'm planning on pilfering parts off of it to put in my truck.

Here is what I'm starting with: 1989 K1500 bone stock 350 TBI. 128K on the ticker and its never been opened up. However, when I got it, it had been sitting for three years and before that was a farm truck for 15 years, so the miles probably don't tell the full story on the engine wear. compression is pretty low at around 110 psi on all cylinders. I'm running roughly 32in tires with 3.42 gears, combine that with living at 6,200 feet above see level, it gets pretty out of breath on the grades, and really struggles when I'm up in the mountains.

I'm wanting 1) to refresh the old girl, 2) give it some more juice, particularly low end torque for hwy cruising and to be able to keep the 3.42s and 3) keep it really reliable, 4) not spend a zillion dollars. I'm not interested in changing gears as it's nice to have those on the interstate doing 80mph, and I've done a couple gear swaps before and man what a headache.

My plan is to use the 355 from the El Camino, but swap the cam and put FiTech fuel injection kit on it. The 355 is in really good shape- the short block probably only has 10,000 miles on it since rebuild. It's got Edlebrock E-Tech 170 heads, performer RPM intake manifold, and a hydraulic roller cam. The cam on it is a high RPM cam so it won't work for my truck as it only starts to make power around 2700 RPMs.

I'm looking to keep the roller rockers, lifters and go with either the comp CS X4 258HR-11 grind, or the GM performance 7395 grind (I think thats the ramjet cam?). I'm leaning towards the comp cam, what do yall think?

Right now I've got a Magnaflow Cat and single 2.5in exhaust on the truck. Upgrade to headers and a better cross over pipe? What do yall recommend?

I'm guessing this combo would put me around 325hp and slightly more than that in torque? What do I need to do to my 700R4 to keep it together?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Unless you are very easy on the 700, or spend a ton of money in internal upgrades, it will not live long. The TV cable bracket will likely require modification. I didn't come across anything in their FAQ or manual that mentioned adapting a TV cable to it.

Perhaps moving to an electronic transmission and controller for that may be the best move.

What is the compression ratio in the 355, that will dictate camshaft profile as well.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Those heads have pretty good ports. You won't need much cam. I'd see the ZZ4 cam go right into this buildup nicely.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I built the 355, bit if I remember right, it had flat top pistons with valve reliefs. Which I'm calculating based on standard estimates to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10:1 compression.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a swap thread on another forum that the FItech system has a holley style TV cable linkage.

I don't do anymore off roading than a rough fire road, and I don't tow anything. With this sort of power increase is it really going to be worth the hassle and expense of swapping in a 4L80E rather than just putting in a really big trans cooler and installing something like a TCI overhaul kit for the 700R4?

Hell looks like I'd be in a 4L80e and controller for $1500, when I could get a bowtie overdrive 700R4 for the same price that's rated at 450/500.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I would fire off an email to Fi Tech and specifically ask their tech support your question about a TH700R4, and find out if there is any adapter needed for the TV cable for that transmission.