Replacing Vortec fuel pump, pulling bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I unbolted the bed, disconnected the rear tail ligts, picked it up with a buddy and threw some milk crates under the bed.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A picture from the rear. It looks small that way. Backing up sure is easy.

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't even have a pine tree, but somehow I have a pinecone.

Here's where I could use some advice. I have the quick connects, and I've seen tools for disconnecting them, but I don't have clearance to use them. Last time I did this, I got one off somehow (don't rememebr how), and the other one I simply broke, and then used the tool to remove the leftover piece. I'd rather not do that because that means the pump is complete trash at that point.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which bolts were you thinking of? I plan to use anti-seize on most, but Locktite on the receiver bolts.

I dont know what they are called. They just keep the bed attached to the frame. When I was putting a vortec fuel pump place of the TBI one when doing the TPI conversion I decided to scoot the bed back instead of doing the tip method, or dropping the tank. I took off the bumper, tail lights, and tail gate. I believe 8 bolts underneath held the bed down and had blue loctite from the factory.
The bed only needed to be scooted back like 2 feet for the pump to be exposed, and one person on each side of the bed lifting near the fender can do it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No one knows how to remove the disconnects without breaking the fuel pump?

ShawnN

Reaction score
My local shop charged $100 to install the pump I bought. Well worth it IMO. He lifted the bed rather than trying to drop the tank straps. I bought a Carter pump which he said is a good brand.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No one knows how to remove the disconnects without breaking the fuel pump?
Other the with the correct tool no. I know a buddy has used and pop bottle lid that he cut down to fit on some the ford fittings. I don't know if that will work if you cant get the tool in there. I don't know how those quick connects work.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Other the with the correct tool no. I know a buddy has used and pop bottle lid that he cut down to fit on some the ford fittings. I don't know if that will work if you cant get the tool in there. I don't know how those quick connects work.

But what is the correct tool? To me, it looks like GM didn't leave enough room to get the tool in place.