Replacing the bed, RCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995Z

Reaction score
I don’t know where you are, but finding one absolutely rust free in the Midwest is not easy. There available used to throw on a work truck, but hard if doing a show restoration.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll get right to it. I have an 88 RCSB... Will the bed from an ECSB fit? I have a feeling that the frame is different and the bed won't just bolt on.

Thanks in advance.

As long as it’s a short bed 1989 to 1999 will fit. The only time there is a difference is if swapping for a step side. Nothing swaps over.

The only time there will be a frame difference is if you’re swapping to a chassi cab. Usually chassi cabs are straight frame all the way through no dip/hump and the frames are usually a little longer so the bed will have a gap between the bed and cab. The frame is meant to allow for different types of service beds to be mounted

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As long as it’s a short bed 1989 to 1999 will fit. The only time there is a difference is if swapping for a step side. Nothing swaps over.

The only time there will be a frame difference is if you’re swapping to a chassi cab. Usually chassi cabs are straight frame all the way through no dip/hump and the frames are usually a little longer so the bed will have a gap between the bed and cab. The frame is meant to allow for different types of service beds to be mounted
1989 to 1999? More like 1988-1998 and "1999 classic"

There are no shortbed chassis cabs.

Richard

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1989 to 1999? More like 1988-1998 and "1999 classic"

There are no shortbed chassis cabs.

Richard
I've not heard the term "chassis cab".

So, I went and picked up the bed I was looking at. Remarkably rust free, but will need some dents and dings worked out. I'm not a body man by any means, so whatever I can "buff out" lol will be the extent of the repair on the new bed.

Also, the bed I picked up was from a sort of u-pull-it. After pulling the bed off, I could see that the spare tire cross member was in great shape. Out came the reciprocating saw :). I brought a bag of 14 teeth per inch blades with me; and every one of those blades broke off inside the saw with 30 seconds of use. Harbor Freight junk. Luckily, there was a NAPA nearby and they had Dewalt sawzall blades. The first blade cut right through everything without breaking a sweat.

Now I have most of what I need to put this POS back together. I took everyone's advice and ordered a fuel pump, a fuel filter, and a fuel pump locking ring.

Grrrr... the last thing I needed was another project sitting in the backyard. That's exactly what this is turning into.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the old bed off yet? I broke 3 of the bed bolts on mine and one of the welded nuts came off inside the crossmember. If your bed has never been off before, good luck!

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The old bed has been off since..... probably last summer. A 1/2" drive impact made quick work of removing the bolts. The only trouble I had was where the bed was too far gone to fix it, which was the front passenger side. There was too much rot and the bolt just kept spinning. A vice grip and PB blaster took care of that.

Then, I used a sawzall and cut the old bed into 4 sections. We have regular scrappers around here, so anything I need gone I set out in my driveway and forget about it.

You all asked for pics.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the bed that we pulled.