Replacing Blown Motor, 5.7... suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NW4x4Chevy98

Reaction score
Thats why I decided to do this myself in the first place, you'll take more pride in the rig you're driving, and no one will work on your truck like you. Yeah I might mess some things up... but... I'm willing to learn and have been taking all your suggestions in and trying to figure what fits this problem best. 383 would sure be much more fun out there in the mud. And with my strait pipes I'm sure it will sound like a true beast.

DavidAlan

Reaction score
I have a simple question, what does the truck look like ,and is it worth keeping? and if you don't understand about engines ,and you have everyone say do this or that, have you taken it to a reputable shop to have it looked at, before replacing the engine? Now consider this, if said engine is bad, what caused the issue? or are you wanting to increase the size to make you feel better? Then you have the transmission ,if engine went bad, there is a chance you have over stressed your transmission, and then also the U joints and the list goes on, most here only think of the engine, but never those things that make it so in first place.
Want you to look at the big picture, and yes I do this to all my vehicles before I put a new motor in them,I rather be safe than sorry later.

NW4x4Chevy98

Reaction score
I have a simple question, what does the truck look like ,and is it worth keeping? and if you don't understand about engines ,and you have everyone say do this or that, have you taken it to a reputable shop to have it looked at, before replacing the engine? Now consider this, if said engine is bad, what caused the issue? or are you wanting to increase the size to make you feel better? Then you have the transmission ,if engine went bad, there is a chance you have over stressed your transmission, and then also the U joints and the list goes on, most here only think of the engine, but never those things that make it so in first place.
Want you to look at the big picture, and yes I do this to all my vehicles before I put a new motor in them,I rather be safe than sorry later.
Wouldn't increasing the size make anyone feel better? Lol if you read the entire post, im sure most of those questions you have will be answered. I'm not a mechanic, but not an idiot. I have ran through all the thoughts of drivetrain and what a bigger motor might do. Hell if the driveline breaks or u joints fail, I can do all that. Inner workings of engines are not my forte. Many pictures of this truck in the post, and I do believe she's worth saving. Tranny is fine, I stopped immediately as soon as the knocking was heard. I happened to be getting a Christmas tree in the mountains and it killed that plan. Merry Christmas guys!

NW4x4Chevy98

Reaction score
Beautiful rig, brother.

I am about to embark on the same journey.. I've had to part ways with the only friend that's a master mechanic so I will begin looking for a cherry picker to rent and start this process myself tomorrow.
I hear Harbor Freight ( i know but... ) has em for relatively cheap...

Traveling man

Reaction score
Yeah I do agree, I am currently taking everything apart and inspecting the engine. My problem is, if I'm breaking everything down, why wouldn't I rebuild it, especially after 300k... so do I dump money into this engine? Or find a replacement. And my luck (which is less than ideal) is that its not just a valve spring. But, I will keep this thread updated when I find out more. My other issue is I am doing this on my own with no one to actually hands on help me and say "oh see, right there is your issue and this is how to fix it." I've never measured depth on springs and never torn into the heads or fixed valve springs, so I'm for sure uneasy about doing something wrong and making things worse. But, these trucks are a passion of mine and beautiful. When it ran, so many compliments from random people... needless to say, its very important I get it going again. I really do appreciate this forum and all the helpful people.
HELLO friend, I would like to give you my two cents, You you decide if it makes sense to you, I have a 93 Chevy, motor shot craps, being a 93, it had crappy heads motor rated at 190hp A new one cost about $1800, They last well, You can ditch the tbi and push the hp # up to ruffly 230hp with a carburetor, or swap later vortec heads( like you have) spend a fortune on an intake manifold to marry those vortec heads to the t b i, to gain ruffly 30hp, but luckily you already have a vortec engine, but with your lack of familiar on engine building, a crate engine would be one and done with a warranty, my choice was an LS swap, hear is why, that brand new tbi would do nothing for the value of my truck, Weak by today's standards, what it cost to build a 383 she could pull an LS out of a junkyard be lighter aluminum heads faster stronger 6 bolt on all crank journals more efficient less money. My research led me to this, I purchased a damaged 2004 Chevy 2500 HD 4×4 for $2500 used the 6.0ls 4l80e sold the push button transfer case core support a brush guard fender, scrap yard the rest ,sold my damaged motor and 4l60e long story, I have $0 in the 6.0- 80e I bought motor mounts intake gaskets 1 spark plug oil pump oil pump pickup o-ring oil pan gasket 32 spline input shaft to put into my transfer case, fix the boat broken bolt in the head, built myself a custom exhaust system, and a wiring harness, ( lt1swap.com) will show you how to fix the wiring harness yourself or pay to have someone do it or buying aftermarket ECU as I did, basically I have 3 grand in it, $1600 was Holly Terminator X Max, and for another $2000 this truck would be very close if not right at 600 hp at the crank. How about an eBay turbo? Stock block crank and rods will handle it, $? 1500 more, =800hp unless you turn the little screw get a better intercooler run E85, these motors have been run up to 1200 horsepower on a stock crank block and rods with a little ring Gap and Factory heads. ✌

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good point! Your engine is only as good as the rest. I just assumed OP has considered all that.
In hindsight, you should’ve just asked Santa for a brand new 383!

Last edited: