Replacement clutch questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
So my clutch died on me, out of nowhere...

Unsure on the age or miles, but I know it veils too well before it died randomly to be the stock clutch with 255k on it.

It grabbed very well, unsure of it being organic or a ceramic button clutch. Grabbed like a **** and slammed you back in your seat...

I really want a Hayes super truck clutch as suggested by 88gmc (Dave), and many other 4x4 and towing guys. Problem being #1 is money, #2 swapping transmissions soon, don't wanna drop $300 on a clutch that I won't use for more than a year and maybe 6000-8000k tops.

Until I get away from my hm290 transmission and np231c transfer case, I will not be towing. I do not do many burnouts. Willing to do none for now... I am swapping to nv4500/np241c combo, I'll save that till then :naughty:

It all boils down to, I just want a clutch that will hold up to stock dd driving. For a few thousand miles.

Looking at a duralast with lifetime warranty.

Anyone have expirence with them? I want to hear true life expirenced, not just " they are ****, just avoid them..." Like is said, I just want a dd clutch to last a few months...

Also, should I go with ceramic or organic?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your only going to use it for a short time I'd get the cheapest thing you can. Actually I wouldn't buy anything until you pull the trans an see what actually broke. If its the pressure plate then change just it until you swap transmissions...

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
If your only going to use it for a short time I'd get the cheapest thing you can. Actually I wouldn't buy anything until you pull the trans an see what actually broke. If its the pressure plate then change just it until you swap transmissions...

That's my plan, but if I do it, I'm gonna go with a complete kit for $109 from autozone. From what I've heard, it's a re boxed "Luk" brand clutch which is an oem supplier for many auto makers. I'm really hoping I haven't trashed the flywheel though...

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
No I'm to where my dad is wanting to front me the money to have a shop do it, and I pay him back when I can. I'm worried of having a shop do it and **** something else up, and some of the stuff I've done underneath my truck isn't exactly "stock" wiring underneath. I don't want them to mess that stuff up either. This would mean my truck back quicker... I just don't know what to do. I hate the though of someone else's hands all over her...

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clutch is same from nv3500/hm290 to a nv4500 get a brute force from orileys life time replacement ;)

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
The duralast has a lifetime warranty also. I know it's the same clutch, but when I put a nv4500 in, I don't wanna have to pull it again in a few thousand miles. It will get a good reputable clutch. Possibly a ceramic button. Sticking with a Hayes super truck clutch. Tried and true...

I would consider the brute force to use now, but there isn't an orileys close.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see I'm just gonna tell orileys my clutch is "broke" when I swap nv4500 in here m a few weeks

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
I see I'm just gonna tell orileys my clutch is "broke" when I swap nv4500 in here m a few weeks

Broke or not with a lifetime warranty, the have to replace it. I don't know if they do the whole kit or just the clutch disk. Interested in seeing though.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my nv3500 had a chip taken outta input shaft and I thought it was my throwout bearing I asked them and they said they're givin whole assembly and if a local shop installs it they'll warranty labor too !!