Removing egr tube 1998 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 silverado. Im getting new maniflolds, just wondering on how to remove that erg tube. Any body kno let me know thanks!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apply PB Blaster liberally over the course of several days and pray that it breaks free without twisting off. It would be easier to do with the manifold and tube off the truck, so if you can get the fitting out of the intake side and remove the exhaust manifold, you'll have more room to apply other methods (torch, hammer) and to get a better bite on the flare nut with a wrench. Be prepared to purchase a new tube. These have a tendency to get thin at the bends, and since you live in a salty part of the country, also get rusty under the heat shielding. May be best to just get a new one, but if you wish to try the above methods have worked for me.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats the easiest way to line up the bolts, when reinserting the manifold to the head. Im having troubles re alinging them, any tips or ways to make it easier!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the easiest way to line up the bolts, when reinserting the manifold to the head. Im having troubles re alinging them, any tips or ways to make it easier!

I always found it easiest to put a bolt in the first and last hole, just screwed in enough to allow the manifold to hang and still be moveable. Once you've got all the bolts in with your fingers, drop the gaskets (assuming you're using the standard Felpro) over the bolts, and torque accordingly.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea, thats what i was thinking. but for some reason my holes dont match up. is there any way that the manifold could be warped? i actually didnt change them just the gaskets. ive had losts if troubles trying to get them to line up.. my last idea is that my manifolds could be warped. idk lol.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that does happen from time to time with SBC exhaust manifolds. There's a tool to spread the horns of the manifold out a bit to realign the bolt holes. Here is one on Amazon for less than ten bucks. Look at the design, and if you've got a few large nuts and bolts, and a couple of pieces of stout scrap metal handy, you can weld your own up for free. Either way, that's what ya need!