Removing and installling insturment cluster...WTF!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Curran

Reaction score
OK, so my gas gauge in my '98 is doing the humming bird dance. So I figure its the stepper motor and I have access to a parts truck (also a '98) so I remove the dash and bring it home. I take out my dash, replace the motor which is held in place by some really small screws. I then pop it back in the dash and now nothing works right! The tach starts at 2000 rpm and goes from there, the speedo doesn't move at all and the all the other gauges just don't register correctly.

Now some new truck have a plug that the cluster plugs into but but mine just has a plug that is part of the dash and you just push the cluster in.

What the hell did I do wrong?????? And by the way the only thing that works right is the odometer.

Signed gaugeless in Indiana.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The needles are in the wrong spot. I use a scanner and a gps to set everything except for oil pressure. Oil pressure is just a matter of knowing where it runs and putting the needle on in the right spot.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you pulled the cluster, swapped in a stepper motor from the donor cluster and now nothing works?

You may have damaged the cluster when you worked on it or when you pushed it back into the connector. Try putting your donor cluster in and see if it works. If you keep it, swapping the odometer between clusters only takes a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Randy Curran

Reaction score
I got everything working but the gas gauge. It still flips around like its on crack. I have no idea!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Mine does that too, I think I have a short near the tank. I'm assuming yours was working properly before?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk