Restored '92-94 180KMH / 110 MPH cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same cluster with a relatively low-mileage as well, may I ask how you went about polishing the plastic cover? Would you be so kind to share any other details about your restoration and detailing? You certainly seem to have an eye for it, did you go as far as servicing the mechanism?

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same cluster with a relatively low-mileage as well, may I ask how you went about polishing the plastic cover? Would you be so kind to share any other details about your restoration and detailing? You certainly seem to have an eye for it, did you go as far as servicing the mechanism?
Sure. I removed the lens from the housing and sanded the light blemish areas from 3000-7000 grit. Then I used plastic polish on a rotary polisher to brighten it up and finished with synthetic wax for protection.

The instrument panel face plate pulls out of the rear housing. I fully disassembled and cleaned everything, except for removing the needles from the motors. The odometer trip gear was stripped so I replaced it. Other than that I used corrosion remover and cleaned all the terminals. Finally I used a little grease on all the odometer gears.

I replaced the bulbs on the rear housing and then screwed it all back together. Took maybe 4 hours!

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure. I removed the lens from the housing and sanded the light blemish areas from 3000-7000 grit. Then I used plastic polish on a rotary polisher to brighten it up and finished with synthetic wax for protection.

The instrument panel face plate pulls out of the rear housing. I fully disassembled and cleaned everything, except for removing the needles from the motors. The odometer trip gear was stripped so I replaced it. Other than that I used corrosion remover and cleaned all the terminals. Finally I used a little grease on all the odometer gears.

I replaced the bulbs on the rear housing and then screwed it all back together. Took maybe 4 hours!
Thank you for letting us in on your technique, (Edit: I thought you'd have wet-sanded it, but I'm clueless as to polishing what I imagine to be plexi/acryllic) the wax is a good idea, does it shield from UV too? You've inspired me to try the same with mine, it's got 12k miles and it's in mph but otherwise similar.

Last edited:

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for letting us in on your technique, (Edit: I thought you'd have wet-sanded it, but I'm clueless as to polishing what I imagine to be plexi/acryllic) the wax is a good idea, does it shield from UV too? You've inspired me to try the same with mine, it's got 12k miles and it's in mph but otherwise similar.
Yes, I should have mentioned as I was nearly complete with sanding I did some wet sanding at the end to get finer results. The wax fills in little imperfections and adds a small amount of UV protection as well, although the lenses usually do not yellow in my experience.

Start with the polishing wheel first. If there are deeper areas that need work, that's where I would sand to work them out.