Remodelmaster's 1999 K2500 Suburban (Burb)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remodelmaster

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I have been lurking on this site for quite a while now and have been inspired by some of you to do several upgrades. I posted a few pictures on the Member's Truck Thread yesterday and decided that the time has come to start my own thread for my old Burb!

Over the past 14 years I have replaced just about everything on it, from suspension components to sensors, transmission, transfer case, etc. The only thing that i have not replaced yet is the engine. Currently, the old 7.4 with almost 200K miles runs great....but I have already been contemplating what to do when 'the time comes'. Currently, my thought is to do what I did on the trasfer case and transmission (Reman) but I welcome some suggestions.

Tires: Currently, I am running 285/75/16's (Cooper AT3's/XLT's) and am very pleased with how they perform for my need's. I have been toying with the idea of installing a lift kit (6 inch) and wanted to get some opinions on the Superlift kits? If I end up doing this, I am planning on possibly installing some rear air bags as well.

Interior: I'm planning on having my front seats recovered when I get the time. The back two rows are still in great shape, but the fronts have seen better days (especially the drivers side). Overall the headliner in still in pretty good shape but the visors either need to be replaced or recovered. Any suggestions or aftermarket alternatives? I just put some Weathertech floor mats and cargo mat in a few moths ago. Should've done this sooner!

Radio: I had a single DIN professionally installed about 10 years ago and it's time to replace again. I have toyed with the idea of installing a double DIN but I am leaning toward's another single DIN (high wattage media player due to the ease of installation. I need all new speakers and my current plan is to go all new 6.5s and upgrade the rear 4x10's to 6x9s. I welcome any suggestions or advice here. I am planning on doing this within the next few weeks (or sooner).

I'm sure that I am forgetting some things, but I will add as I remember!

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Very clean Burb! You can't find them in Texas without dents in the barn doors. And the leather seats don't seem to hold up to much use on any of these trucks. My second row is pristine on the side no one sits on, but the passenger side (small section)where I sit looks more than 22 years old! Both fronts are messed up too. I'm wanting to swap in the seats from our 06 Yukon XL Denali, but haven't measured it yet to see if it's doable. They're in better shape, and have the seat heater too. Toasty buns in 90 seconds!

Remodelmaster

Reaction score
Very clean Burb! You can't find them in Texas without dents in the barn doors. And the leather seats don't seem to hold up to much use on any of these trucks. My second row is pristine on the side no one sits on, but the passenger side (small section)where I sit looks more than 22 years old! Both fronts are messed up too. I'm wanting to swap in the seats from our 06 Yukon XL Denali, but haven't measured it yet to see if it's doable. They're in better shape, and have the seat heater too. Toasty buns in 90 seconds!

I found an upholstery shop that said they could recover both the front seats to 'like new factory condition' for $350.00 per seat. Like yours, my backs are great. The worst one is the bottom/drivers side. I'd like to keep it looking as close to factory as possible without breaking the bank.

In the winter, my wife keeps her heated seat on the passenger seat side on full blast. I can't tell you how many times (not knowing that is has heated seats) where one of my guys have gotten in and as we are proceeding down the road, looks over at me and says: "man, my butt feels like its on fire". :D

Last edited:

carnutdallas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not lift it. Just keep it like it is. You won’t regret it. So the seats, of course. Katskinz makes some nice replacements that look stock and our great. I would be surprised if it was leather for $350 each, maybe I misunderstood and they are cloth??? Did not see an interior pic? Thought I read leather? Sorry getting old :) A good new double Din with CarPlay would be nice? I have the Kenwood 10.1 and it is Monster. But wow, my old eyes love it. Probably too big for the GMT400?

But the lift will ride like crap, effect towing and all the other stuff. I love lifted trucks. Owned lots of them, but to actually use and enjoy the ride, not this old man. I won’t do it again. My 2500 sits just right now and I run 285’s on a GMT900. Hard turn, bump and in reverse may get a millisecond rub. But looks so clean and easy to clump into - I am 6’4” and it is like walking in.

Love your ‘Burban. Bought that same truck new in 1999, color, barn doors and All. I have had 6 more since then, but should have just kept it! Will look out for updates. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remodelmaster

Reaction score
I would not lift it. Just keep it like it is. You won’t regret it. So the seats, of course. Katskinz makes some nice replacements that look stock and our great. I would be surprised if it was leather for $350 each, maybe I misunderstood and they are cloth??? Did not see an interior pic? Thought I read leather? Sorry getting old :) A good new double Din with CarPlay would be nice? I have the Kenwood 10.1 and it is Monster. But wow, my old eyes love it. Probably too big for the GMT400?

But the lift will ride like crap, effect towing and all the other stuff. I love lifted trucks. Owned lots of them, but to actually use and enjoy the ride, not this old man. I won’t do it again. My 2500 sits just right now and I run 285’s on a GMT900. Hard turn, bump and in reverse may get a millisecond rub. But looks so clean and easy to clump into - I am 6’4” and it is like walking in.

Love your ‘Burban. Bought that same truck new in 1999, color, barn doors and All. I have had 6 more since then, but should have just kept it! Will look out for updates. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate it and thanks for your input! I had a 1984 Chevy truck, lifted with 36" Super Swampers years ago that drove like a two horse wagon. I have been leaning more towards staying stock for the reasons you listed. My nephew has a lifted truck with 38s and my Suburban (stock height) has an inch less ground clearance than he does.

A double DIN would be ideal, I just don't know how I feel about cutting into the dash?

The seats are currently leather, but the upholstery shop was saying that the entire seat isn't leather, just the bottom and back where you lean against? She said that if they do it (in faux leather aka: 'pleather') I wouldn't tell the difference once they were done. I've seen their work first hand, but my main thing is I want it to look factory even IF that means using real leather.