RedHead Steeering Gears.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is red head only for 4wd?

I got excited when I saw this thread and googled them and they have no option for c1500.

My unit from O'Reilly sucks. I replaced last October and I don't like it. Just a p.i.a. to replace

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redhead can kiss my ass!
I bought a box from them and it wasn't right. They required my to have it checked at a shop before they would warranty it. Then they screwed up the core charge and over 3 years later they still tried to bill me for the core on the second unit and the never refunded me for the original core.
Once again, Redhead can kiss my ass!
That's disturbing.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Is red head only for 4wd?

I got excited when I saw this thread and googled them and they have no option for c1500.

My unit from O'Reilly sucks. I replaced last October and I don't like it. Just a p.i.a. to replace
They do, but their search function blows chunks. I'd call them up and ask which one you need.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Allegedly BBB Industries alternators, starters, PS pumps and steering gears are remaned or built new in Mexico.

As I mentioned, the alignment guy at my tire shop says he has installed a BBB gear in a GMT 400 and said it drove and felt the way he thought a factory setup should, and the customer has had no complaints.

BBB does supply parts to Oreillys and NAPA. The new NAPA steering gear for this truck has a BBB Industries warranty, but a different part number--and costs $899.99. I think it's the same one from RockAuto for $449.

Internet chatter on the RedHead gears is that a number of them did not work, or wrong gear, etc, and the warranty has been a major hassle.

Talked to the guy at BlueTop, he was very helpful, said needle bearings have not helped the feel or the longevity of the Saginaw steering gears and they are not fitting needle bearing in their gears anymore (the needle bearing I think he was referring to is not the OEM needle bearing on the input side (if I understood him correctly). They were moving to a new facility and were two weeks out for a gear.

A friend has a '71 Z28 with an AGR steering gear. He occasionally takes the Camaro to the track and highly recommends AGR. The AGR gear for my truck appears to be close to $600.

My RockAuto order arrives Friday, I'm' going scouting for elk this weekend, so next week I plan on installing lower MevoTech TX ball joints to replace the POS Moog ball joints that have prematurely worn out (I've already replaced the POS Moog uppers with Proforged a couple weeks ago), and install the new BBB steering gear. My dad bought this truck new and I am looking for that same steering and feel. If the BBB doesn't live up to my expectations it is going back to RockAuto pronto.

Then I guess I would be looking at an AGR gear..........

Enigma540

Reaction score
I ordered and installed the AGR quick ratio box, along with ported pump, on my '97 2wd. Had a question about the EVO (turns out AGR includes the needed fitting, so it's plug n play to delete EVO), so I called them. The actual owner answered the phone. That impressed me. We then had a fantastic conversation about the box, and steering in general. He's a super guy, and very passionate about his product. The box is GREAT, but I wouldn't recommend the ported pump. It lowers the assist quite a bit, and feels exactly like the steering in my '98 formula firebird with a turn 1 pump installed. Very "road course" feel to it. I love that in my bird, but not in the truck. Also, at low rpms (especially when backing up, the shifting from reverse to drive) there's essentially no assist. You have to blip the throttle to get the steering going, otherwise it's like driving a car that lost all its fluid. I'm very happy with the box, and once the truck is above 40-50 mph, I even like the tighter steering, but it's a bear in parking lots and such. I need to either adjust the pressure valve shimming or just replace the pump with a delco factory. Anyhow, great product, great company owner, very satisfied customer. I highly recommend them.