Rebuilt 4l60e break in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The guy has a small independently owned shop. 26 years experience he say's.

There is no way I could have poured 8qts into the converter alone. I poured the 2 into it and it sat about an hour while I pulled the bad transmission. As I put it into the pump I managed to spill maybe half qt on the floor.

Still waiting to hear back that it is still doing the same thing after a new pump.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As of the last I heard he was going to pull the trans and replace the pump. Have yet to hear back from him. Either he hasn't gotten to it or it didn't fix the issues. I wasn't at work Monday or Tuesday either due to pneumonia. All I know is he hasn't had us come pick it back up.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i have rebuilt many transmissions and i do believe in breaking them in, what i do i baby it for the first 500 miles, like not making it shift above 2500 rpms, the reason why is because the clutches need to sit properly to the steel plates and they need to wear into them gradually, if you just start ******* the hell out of it straight off the rebuild, they will not sit properly and will cause them to wear faster then normal, i just rebuilt my transmission about 1100 miles ago and the first 500 miles after the rebuild i drove it like i was trying to break in the transmission, i mean its alot safer of an idea then not breaking it in

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The whole unit holds around 11-12 quarts. Depends on cooler size, cooler line length. There is no way to put 8 quarts in the converter though. Most converter company's soak the clutch in fluid while they are building the converter. As soon as you crank the truck the pump sends fluid into the converter at 90 PSI. It takes around 1 second to fill up. As far as break in is concerned, many people do it different ways. Just like they do engine break in. As long as you soak the frictions and band during the build and wet the pump so it won't have a dry start they do very well. I do cringe a little when someone picks up their truck and says they are headed straight home to hook up their camper and head 1000 miles though haha.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
The whole unit holds around 11-12 quarts. Depends on cooler size, cooler line length. There is no way to put 8 quarts in the converter though. Most converter company's soak the clutch in fluid while they are building the converter. As soon as you crank the truck the pump sends fluid into the converter at 90 PSI. It takes around 1 second to fill up. As far as break in is concerned, many people do it different ways. Just like they do engine break in. As long as you soak the frictions and band during the build and wet the pump so it won't have a dry start they do very well. I do cringe a little when someone picks up their truck and says they are headed straight home to hook up their camper and head 1000 miles though haha.
very true, i actually dont ever fill the converter before setting it into the pump, i might put like a half a quart it but thats it, your right about the pump shooting fluid into it almost immediately, its kinda like when people pre fill the oil filter when changing their oil, i dont ever do that, mostly because the filter on these trucks are pointing downwards and you end up spilling oil everywhere, plus the angle the filter is, all the oil will poor into the pan and not stay in the filter anyways

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Somebody is bs-ing here big time. Not to say that a trans should'n have ANY break in or anything, but it should not be shifting funky right out of the gate.

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He put a different reman unit in it. Still saying I burned up the pump.