Rebuilt 4l60e break in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just recently had a shop rebuild a 4l60e for me. I did the R&R, after install and during initial test drive it has a slow 1-2, 2-3 shift under normal accel. Heavy accel is normal. The builder told me the new band needed to be heated, varnished or something like that. This is my first time experiencing this from a reman unit. We used this guy because he was cheaper than our only trans shop. Every one of them we have gotten from our local atra shop worked first drive perfectly normal. This one has a really drawn out slip feel between shifts. New converter, and flushed cooler out with a can of kooler kleen.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aaa4948

Reaction score
I've always been told there is no break in on a new transmission. I just put a Goodwrench 700R4 in my truck and same issues you have (but doesn't sound as bad). From what I've read, the TV cable is in too far.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They do flair a little bit sometimes after a build. The Taps have to reset. Usually after 100 miles they are fine though. If the battery has been unhooked for longer than 30 minutes the pcm loses all the tap, idle air, and map settings. If it hasn't straightened out after 200 miles I would take it back to him.

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put about 80 mile's on it and no change. I took the whole truck out to him, he is trying to say I burned up the pump. In my 12 years of experience I have never come across this issue from a rebuild. Claims I didn't put enough fluid in before starting it up. I put 2 QTS in the converter, and 6.5ish in the pan before starting it up. Says that they need 8qts before starting. How did half a qt low burn it up?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I call :bs: My buddy ran his with the lines tore off the cooler til it wouldn pull, doctored up the cooler lines, poured SEVERAL quarts of fluid in it, and went on its way. If the pump is to blame, it is defective. That's his fault if its the actual problem

Last edited:

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That converter needs more than 2 qt I think the whole system is 11 qt. 8 in the converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
That converter needs more than 2 qt I think the whole system is 11 qt. 8 in the converter

You can't install it with that much fluid in it, it'll dump out everywhere.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah he's full of it. We do at least 5 4L60E's a week. I have built hundred's of these units. I have always filled them up the same way. I don't put any in the converter, I install the unit bone dry. I put 4 quarts of fluid in the unit after install, then crank it, then add 6 1/2 more. I run it thru the gears on the rack, then check the fluid. Add if necessary. I would raise 3 shades of hell. Is it a shop?

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to add my two cents rhino how many quarts does that system hold ?