rebuilding my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok guys i have a 95 z71 and im rebuilding my engine myself to learn how i have put in the bottom end already and torqued to spec. but i want to make sure i dont have to mic any thing for clearance its all new parts eagle crank i beam rods and .30 pistons will i have to mic for clearance between the rods and crank balancers.or anything else?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Did you use plastigage to make sure that the rod to crank journal clearances were right?
I'm not too sure about anything else, but I do know that you should use the plastigage to be sure instead of just trusting the torque specs.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no i didnt. i still have it upside down from where i torqued everything.i bought it all as a kit.
the people at summit told me i didnt have to clearance check any of that as far as tdc clearance or rod to crank journal clearance but i will go buy a guage and check it.i got my crank with all bearings rods with all bearings and my pistons with rings in an eagle rotating kit but i will still check it.thank you for the advice any body else have any pointers? valve lash adjustment or install ?

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im using my stock stamped rockers.1.5 ratio.im looking for a new set of heads like the ones that came with this intake i believe their 083 heads i just cant seem to find any.that way itll give me more power and bolt right up to my intake

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok ive been researching alot and i need to plastigage my main bearing clearance,end play and rod to crank journal clearance.as am92 said.i havent had much time to work on it much.so i am about to get started.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i bought some lock-tite is it nessesary on the rod and main cap bolts? and head bolts since they are to a torqued spec?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You do not want to put loctite on the main bearing and rod cap bolt's, but I would suggest using some ARP assembly lube to get a proper torque spec. Also you need to use thread sealer and all of your head bolt's that are around your water passages.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok thanks man.i know to use sealer on the heads or i could end up with a mess of oil later on.thanks for the help

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'd go aftermarket with rockers. The variations on the stock stamped ones can be from 1.42-1.55, according to an old HOTROD article I read. Mass production & all.