Rebuild or buy new distributor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 92 C2500 (5.7 TBI) I've isolated my rough idle (only when the motor is warmed up) to a bad Distributor Ignition Pickup. My timing light shows the timing jumps around about 5 degrees at warm idle. It hovers around 20 and varies up and down about 10 degrees when the idle stumbles intermittently. I'm thinking it's the timing jumping around causing the problem. No codes are showing up.

Already replaced basic tune up items, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, ect. The plugs looked fine, nice tan/white color.

Should I rebuild the distributor or just spend 200 to buy a decent new one?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOOK at the magnet near the pickup coil.

TBI distributors are infamous for cracked magnets, leading to screwy timing and erratic ignition. The magnet generally cracks through the riveted area. Repair requires either an entire distributor or, at minimum, a new mainshaft. When it's me, I'd rather have a used-but-usable Genuine GM housing, bushings, module, gear, and replacement mainshaft, than a brand-new cheap-Chinese distributor assembly.

You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have been running United Motor Products distributors in my trucks for a few years with no problems. PN 9366 is $118.79 at rock auto. It also includes a cap and rotor with brass contacts.
A GM reman unit is $304.99 which includes a $20.00 core.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tossed my old one in the recycle bin a long time ago. Will be buying a new one for the new engine eventually.
Check these out. Echlin Made in USA with 3 year warranty. Upgraded metal gear too.