Rebuild front end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obxjake

Reaction score
Is there a better steering gear box system?? Just replaced original gear box + complete rebuilt front end, shocks, + replaced rag joint steering shaft with solid shaft with universal joint + pitman, ball joints, bearings, calibers, brakes, front end alignment,etc ...still little play in steering wheel...4 in lift 30570R16 on 11in rims.....any suggestions? Jake

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Is there a better steering gear box system?? Just replaced original gear box + complete rebuilt front end, shocks, + replaced rag joint steering shaft with solid shaft with universal joint + pitman, ball joints, bearings, calibers, brakes, front end alignment,etc ...still little play in steering wheel...4 in lift 30570R16 on 11in rims.....any suggestions? Jake

You can tighten the gear lash a little on the steering box itself to tighten it up a bit. Should be a nut and an allen set screw on top of the box. Just don't overdo it, otherwise your steering won't return to center properly and you can damage/wear out the gears in the box.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You`re saying if i have a press and the bushings, i wont need to buy new UCAs?
Currect.... you can actually do them with a ball joint press aswell.. the "C" style press... done many that way when I was working at a shop including mine... it's fast and easy to do.. take off and put on with that ball joint press..

sent from what use to be a great country...

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Currect.... you can actually do them with a ball joint press aswell.. the "C" style press... done many that way when I was working at a shop including mine... it's fast and easy to do.. take off and put on with that ball joint press..

Solid, i have a press, is there anything else i should get for the rebuild? Should i get a new steering box or anything else down there? Plan on doing NBS brakes while im down there.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your box has slop yes I would replace it verses adjusting it... if adjusted incorrectly it can be very bad for you and others on the road....

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You can replace the steering box with a reman unit.

Before installing the replacement bushings in the control arms, put them in the freezer, this will shrink them and allow an easier installation.

From 70F to about 30F ~ almost 0.0005" contraction on that size bushing.