Rear end diff gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 z71

Reaction score
Hey guys gonns change my diff cover gasket, it's a 14 bolt and just had a few questions, for one do i have to put any gear oil on the gasket before putting the cover back on?

Also, how tight do the bolts have to be when tightening, snug or torqued so I know yet won't come off

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
No you don't have to oil the new gasket, if you want you can put a little RTV on it to make sure it really seals up well. I'm sure there's a torque spec on the bolts, but I just snugged mine up pretty good (a very accurate measurement I know, lol)

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I never used RTF or oiled the gasket, always worked fine. However, next time I do this I'll probably go with the high end rubber Fel-Pro gaskets, impressed by them with the couple that I've used.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
You don't need to use RTV on it, but i much rather use RTV instead of a gasket. Especially the 7.3 RTV i get from ford, turns into rock within 15 mins haha

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used RTV and a gasket and snugged the bolts good with no issues, used synthetic fluid too, but have read that syn fluid runs hotter and lubes less than conventional gear oil.

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just use RTV, and snug the bolts up for like 20 ft-lbs. I did the seals on my truck and had to take the cover off twice. Used RTV everytime I've taken a cover off and never had a leak. EVER!

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Yes suppoesdly the 80-90 runs cooler cause its thicker. But i run synthetic in all of my stuff except for my front diff.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On any vehicle that I am not in the diff often (daily Driver), I only use RTV designed for use with oil. On my trail rig and buggy, I have a greater chance of snapping an axle and need to be in the diff more often, I use and swear by lube lockers. they state that they are one time use only, I have reused them up to 5 or 6 times and still no leaks.