rear brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck does this, the rear drums almost seem like the shoes are hung up somehow, I’ve had them rebuilt/replaced so many times and the issue comes back like clockwork. I almost hesitate to bring it up but this is one reason why I am thinking about a disc brake conversion. But I’m sure there are other fixes lol

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck does this,
WHAT truck? Model year? 1500? 2500? 3500? 2WD? 4WD? Pickup? Tahoe? Suburban?

the rear drums almost seem like the shoes are hung up somehow, I’ve had them rebuilt/replaced so many times and the issue comes back like clockwork.
Are you sure it's the brakes? As has been said multiple times in this thread...it's more-likely the driveshaft.

IF (big IF) it's the driveshaft, you can "fix" the brakes a hundred times and not solve the problem.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHAT truck? Model year? 1500? 2500? 3500? 2WD? 4WD? Pickup? Tahoe? Suburban?

Are you sure it's the brakes? As has been said multiple times in this thread...it's more-likely the driveshaft.

IF (big IF) it's the driveshaft, you can "fix" the brakes a hundred times and not solve the problem.
1997 c1500 4.3 short bed single cab (2wd)
Yea I’ve since done a auto to manual trans swap with new driveshaft, exact same issue. Definitely not a clunking, but exactly like the truck is trying to move with the parking brake on, then the parking brake suddenly pops free. Except it’s not the parking brake lol. But hey I’ll double check, I do appreciate the input!

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 c1500 4.3 short bed single cab (2wd)
Yea I’ve since done a auto to manual trans swap with new driveshaft, exact same issue. Definitely not a clunking, but exactly like the truck is trying to move with the parking brake on, then the parking brake suddenly pops free. Except it’s not the parking brake lol. But hey I’ll double check, I do appreciate the input!
Pull the rear drums and inspect for brake fluid leaking onto the shoes. My GMC blew a rear wheel cylinder and had the exact same issue.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A common problem with drum brakes is they wear a groove where the shoes are in contact with the 6 "flats" on the plate. Did you verify the shoes aren't catching and sticking? Can you do a full teardown to see?
If they are grooved, you can weld them to make them flat again, then reassemble

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually just bought rebuild kit with brembo ceramic shoes, I’ll go ahead and replace wheel cylinders as well, and take a look at the drums. I want to clarify, the multiple times They have been repaired was by a shop (my dad had a cheap mechanic he used) I have since learned how to do a lot of this myself and this would be the first time I’ll do it myself.

91sonoma

Reaction score
Sorry for not repliying back on this problem,been working so much , I finally got some time to pull the driveshaft and clean and grease the splines. That was about 2 months ago and have not had this problem since.Thanks Schurkey for pointing me in the right direction.