rear brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rear brakes, or driveshaft/trans tail housing?

VERY common for trucks to make a clunk noise on stopping or taking-off due to driveshaft not sliding properly on trans or transfer case tailshaft as the rear suspension moves due to weight-transfer.

Remove driveshaft, lightly grease splines. Often eliminates clunk noise at least for a while.

IF (big IF) this is actually your brakes, you need brake service NOW.

Mikes98

Reaction score
Second the opinion on "Driveline clunk". My '98 had it when I first got the truck (in 2001). You would feel/hear it after a complete stop and then ease off a little on the brakes or moved off from a stop. AFAIK, it's most prone in one piece driveshafts. Dropping the driveshaft, cleaning trans/xfr case slip joint and greasing the internal splines on the slip joint fixes the problem. For awhile.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they always clunked! I remember going to a GM dealership back in 99-2000 in regards to my 98 trying to resolve the clunk. They greased it, but it resumed clunking eventually. :banghead:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My Burb made the clunk before I had the U-joints replaced last year. Now it only makes noise if the truck's at an extreme angle in a driveway, or putting it in gear. And the noise isn't much, just enough to notice that it is in gear.

Mikes98

Reaction score
And they always clunked! I remember going to a GM dealership back in 99-2000 in regards to my 98 trying to resolve the clunk. They greased it, but it resumed clunking eventually. :banghead:
Yup. I went to the dealership early on and they dug up a "bumper" ...little rubber disc you stick in the driveshaft end of the slip joint. Supposed to soften the "thump". The parts guys also said just to grease the slip joint every so often. I've found that Bel-Ray water proof grease works best ...seems to last the longest. Stuff is pretty viscous ...but it works!