Rear axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Balser

Reaction score
I'm newish to mechanics on vehicles.. I already swapped axles but it was also broken...

I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado C-1500 extended cab..2 wheel drive..
The old bad rear axle was a GT4..
I was wondering if a GU4 axle will fit???
Problem is there are no GT4 axles near me anywhere.. and shipping triples the price...

I know there is a difference in the gear ratio.. I just want to get my truck driving again... not worried about gas milage.. not going to tow anything..
It's not meant for long distances.. 20 miles one way at most....
I'm tired of it sitting in front yard with no rear axle

Thank you for any help you can give

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
2wd and 4wd axles are different widths. Technically they will both bolt in, 2wd and 4wd axles, and in your case being a 2wd all the gear ratio's will work. But you may not be happy with the performance going from a 3.73(gt4) to ???(not sure what a gu4 is), a gu6 is 3.42 in case it was a typo.

Ron Balser

Reaction score
2wd and 4wd axles are different widths. Technically they will both bolt in, 2wd and 4wd axles, and in your case being a 2wd all the gear ratio's will work. But you may not be happy with the performance going from a 3.73(gt4) to ???(not sure what a gu4 is), a gu6 is 3.42 in case it was a typo.

It's a 3.08 gears...
My truck been sitting 6 months.. and tired of it being a yard ornament .. and need it for dump runs... and maybe walmart...

I wasn't sure if there is a width difference...
Didn't know it was 4x4..

Like I said farthest it would go is 20 miles one way...

Thank you

Ron Balser

Reaction score
It's a 3.08 gears...
My truck been sitting 6 months.. and tired of it being a yard ornament .. and need it for dump runs... and maybe walmart...

I wasn't sure if there is a width difference...
Didn't know it was 4x4..

Like I said farthest it would go is 20 miles one way...

Thank you

Also to be honest.. I don't know what the original axle was... I have over sized back tires..
I can no longer check because it was turned in as a core replacement... and the GT4 seized up...
Glad it had a warrenty