Rear A/C removal (Suburban)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was any suspense! I work at a VW dealer. We got them from Sturdevant's. They should be a common part and they are dead simple to install.

SPDMETL

Reaction score
Here's my experience...07 Yukon in MI. A/C failed, sent my Wife to the dealer. Subsequent phone call says-rear lines rotted, $1,300 for all, or $600 to cap off rear and refill. Went with the cheap route. It's a black truck; with front only it's adequate but not the same.

After it was done, I found there's a splice kit commonly available that would have worked just fine. YMMV...On a rust free, keep forever vehicle, just spend the loot and fix it right.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of fight with ac-rear gives me headache. I managed to get everything working-replaced one of the ac lines going to the rear-well not replaced but changed a massive chunk of it with copper pipe-as they do corrode. It's 10mm. Now the other one went(20mm). Problem is that you can't replace the lines with now original ones because of their shape-it impossible to wiggle it into place due to the length(and mine is only tahoe-burb's are longer). So u either have to put elastic ones or replace a bits of the pipe that went. I attach pics-the first one-they do elastic fuel lines for the rear. Don't forget that with them u will most likely have to replace the rear evaporator too and possibly front outlet lines as undoing these nuts may prove impossible-it's 99% possibility. The other pic is a connector we used to splice into the line and to connect the copper pipe into the remaining bits of original lines. Get more of these if you willing to go down that route as it's hard to get it right first time you do it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg Florey

Reaction score
Yes rear evaporator core, not condenser... thanks for the correction.

If all the rear lines were needed and with estimated labor to replace, I was quoted $1800. Not a cost I can justify. For now I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will hold refrigerant for long enough to get me throught the summer.
I hope I'm not being redundant here, so here I go.
There is a rear ac block plug kit on eBay for under $10, and installation videos on YouTube. Rear air is not necessary for the front ac to work properly, but both share the R134a charge. If you plug the two lines under the hoid (after a full evacuation) it will mist likely not take as much R134a to recharge the system. Im removing the rear ac components because I am
1) I'm doing a camper build, and i am looking for valuable real estate in the back of my Burb,
2) I no longer need the seats and AC for anyone other than my girlfriend and I.

The rear AC is reliant on the main system, not vice versa.

Have a great day!
Greg

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope I'm not being redundant here, so here I go.
There is a rear ac block plug kit on eBay for under $10, and installation videos on YouTube. Rear air is not necessary for the front ac to work properly, but both share the R134a charge. If you plug the two lines under the hoid (after a full evacuation) it will mist likely not take as much R134a to recharge the system. Im removing the rear ac components because I am
1) I'm doing a camper build, and i am looking for valuable real estate in the back of my Burb,
2) I no longer need the seats and AC for anyone other than my girlfriend and I.

The rear AC is reliant on the main system, not vice versa.

Have a great day!
Greg
I wanted to go down this path and I did as a temporary measure, however since my children travel with me on long holiday trips this solution is no good for 2 reasons:
1.takes a while for the air to mix so those at the back seat bake for a while
2. While I'm trying to cool the back my wife usually gets "cold feet"(pun intended) as it blows full blast on her first before reaches the back,she has to cover herself and that's simply inconvenient. But of course if only 2 ofbyou travel it may be a solution.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My kids would shank me if I didn't have rear a/c working on any of our Suburbans. Even my 09 had a rear leak and A/C stopped in middle of nowhere, got cans and topped it off to get where we were going in comfort. Mostly the dog needs the a/c more than the kids.