Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometime in the previous century, I was involved with Allison transmissions; specifically, cramming them, the engine, the radiator, and various accessories into the back of City Buses, initial-filling them with fluid, and doing initial fire-up of the powertrain package. Then topping-off the fluid levels after the powertrain stabilized.

My head about exploded when one of our customers demanded we use 15W-40 engine oil in the transmission.

Turns out that Allison considered this perfectly acceptable. I'd have never guessed.

Kinda made me want to dump some TH400 lip-seals in engine oil to see if they would swell-up. Never followed through, though.

Another customer demanded a different kind of trans fluid other than the Dexron III-H that 95% of the buses got. This stuff was dyed red like trans fluid, but was thick like that 15W-40 engine oil. I don't remember what that fluid was called, or who made it. MAYBE this was the Allison "C-4" hydraulic fluid spec; which I guess is 10-weight. Most searches of C-4 trans fluid end up leading to Ford C4 transmissions. But a search of C-4 hydraulic fluid gets to the stuff I'm maybe thinking of.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometime in the previous century, I was involved with Allison transmissions; specifically, cramming them, the engine, the radiator, and various accessories into the back of City Buses, initial-filling them with fluid, and doing initial fire-up of the powertrain package. Then topping-off the fluid levels after the powertrain stabilized.

My head about exploded when one of our customers demanded we use 15W-40 engine oil in the transmission.

Turns out that Allison considered this perfectly acceptable. I'd have never guessed.

Kinda made me want to dump some TH400 lip-seals in engine oil to see if they would swell-up. Never followed through, though.

Another customer demanded a different kind of trans fluid other than the Dexron III-H that 95% of the buses got. This stuff was dyed red like trans fluid, but was thick like that 15W-40 engine oil. I don't remember what that fluid was called, or who made it. MAYBE this was the Allison "C-4" hydraulic fluid spec; which I guess is 10-weight. Most searches of C-4 trans fluid end up leading to Ford C4 transmissions. But a search of C-4 hydraulic fluid gets to the stuff I'm maybe thinking of.
Hmm,I would have thought that motor oil would allow the clutches to slip and the detergents would destroy the piston seals.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please keep your responses on topic, we are currently talking about powdered versions of products usually associated with liquid. :p

I think @Scooterwrench mentioned it earlier, about motorcycles using engine oil in transmissions, maybe the same thought process in the Allison. As it is specd’ in the manual, I run 20-w50 (?) in all three holes on my Harley. Same synthetic fluid.

Anyone have first hand experience with powdered wood (saw dust) in a transmission?