Rare paint codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
the wa on the tag nowhere near looks like it's wa-97xx and the color us usually called out in the rpo with a 2 digit number which i'm not seeing either.

You're trying to match the outside, what are the jambs and underhood? Possible wrong tag in truck or has been repainted?

"solid paint" would mean non metallic
Figured on the solid but didn't want to assume. It's probably not the first time I've seen RPO TGK but never paid it any attention before. Not one that comes up often, I think.

I circled the WE5405 in blue, it's not where we're used to seeing the paint code, that's for sure. There's some in the usual location on the SPID label but obviously not very legible. I don't know why there would be paint codes in the usual location, AND paint codes to the bottom left as well (and they don't appear to match, as well as having U and L designations indicating a possible factory two-tone.) The ones on the bottom left do seem to possibly be the color the truck is. "Medium aqua" sounds about right..

You must be registered for see images attach

To be clear, I've seen plenty of SPID labels with the paint code at the bottom left but not just the code alone. Usually it's preceded by "basecoat/clearcoat", "bc/cc", "dis.lacquer" or even "bc/cc enamel" and whatever "wacc" is... depending on year model and obviously paint type.

Hey OP, you should probably try to run your VIN through Compnine or a friendly dealer to see if you can get a build report, before the records are purged, if they aren't already. Some of the older VIN's are no longer available.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figured on the solid but didn't want to assume. It's probably not the first time I've seen RPO TGK but never paid it any attention before. Not one that comes up often, I think.

I circled the WE5405 in blue, it's not where we're used to seeing the paint code, that's for sure. There's some in the usual location on the SPID label but obviously not very legible. I don't know why there would be paint codes in the usual location, AND paint codes to the bottom left as well (and they don't appear to match, as well as having U and L designations indicating a possible factory two-tone.) The ones on the bottom left do seem to possibly be the color the truck is. "Medium aqua" sounds about right..

To be clear, I've seen plenty of SPID labels with the paint code at the bottom left but not just the code alone. Usually it's preceded by "basecoat/clearcoat", "bc/cc", "dis.lacquer" or even "bc/cc enamel" and whatever "wacc" is... depending on year model and obviously paint type.

Hey OP, you should probably try to run your VIN through Compnine or a friendly dealer to see if you can get a build report, before the records are purged, if they aren't already. Some of the older VIN's are no longer available.

Richard
gotcha, can't recall ever seeing one printed like that but yeah, there it is in the upper part. Most single color trucks list both a U color and an L color and you see L** and U** in the upper part of the rpo tag in the 3 digit code section.The non z71 stickers scream repaint, I know they were hard to get 15 years ago and you did good not to end up with one that wouldn't come clean from the paper.

artguy1

Reaction score
Hello Hipster
I found the match as mentioned by @someotherguy, thanks man. The magic color code is WE5405. The paint shop pro mentioned that the WE#### indicates that this is a fleet color or special color vs WA#### that is a standard color code. Yes door jams and underhood are the same color. Thx for the tip on custom matching. ...and ya know I called 3 different Chevy Dealers and got 3 different answers about proper paint color, even when providing the VIN.

All in all I'm stoked to find the correct color, sprayed it yesterday....boom, match. Big thanks for reaching out!!

Reaction score
1990 GMC Sierra SLE
Gold metallic and Saddletan met.
Interior is biege and cognac

Everyone should remember that in the 90s, at least, any GM color could be ordered by the dealer in minimum of 6 unit orders. As a result many strange combos came out ai addition to dealer installed lowering kit, wheel and tire sets, ground effects etc.

Reaction score
Hey I know this is an older forum, but does anyone know how rare the paint code WA9656 is, I can’t find many GMT400 trucks painted it around my area, let alone my province

Attachments

• F7BF26D6-9DE5-4B46-B512-5EE51ABE24ED.jpeg
    F7BF26D6-9DE5-4B46-B512-5EE51ABE24ED.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 3

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey I know this is an older forum, but does anyone know how rare the paint code WA9656 is, I can’t find many GMT400 trucks painted it around my area, let alone my province
What brand and year? Paint code offerings changed pretty much yearly.

Richard