1990 GMC K1500 Paint Code Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC_YA_LATER

Reaction score
I've got a 1990 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 and I'm trying to find the paint codes for this truck. I do have the RPO code sticker in the glove compartment. The truck is a two-tone blue with the two-tone pin striping between the colors.

Here's my confusion:

The paint codes on the RPO sticker are WA-L9086 (Lower) and WA-U9624 (Upper).

I have found the "Upper" color to be called Gray Blue, Medium Blue, and Medium Blue Metallic. I've cross-referenced this code across a few different sources and it definitely looks to be the correct code for the year. So, no worries there hopefully.

On the other hand, the "Lower" color does not show up in any of those sources as an optional paint code for this year model truck. When I search for that paint code I come up with a color called "Lt. French Blue Poly". I'm not certain, but it appears this was an optional color on the older square body platform. I can't find any paint samples for that paint code when I search for this year model truck.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the correct color code for the truck? I found color code WA-9264 to be light blue metallic and that's what I believed this color to be but that's not the right code according to the RPO sticker.

Picture of the truck below. The paint is in terrible shape which is why I'm trying to find these codes so I can start getting quotes for a new paint job while I fix all the other issues over the winter.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20220804_192426412.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_192426412.MP.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220804_192347671.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_192347671.MP.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220804_192412204.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220804_192412204.MP.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 16

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't get hung up on the name for the colors. The WA# is the final answer. Gm used wa#'s across multiple line so the same color/wa# on a Buick may be called a different color in a catolog.

The painter should be able look up both colors in whatever brand of paint system he uses and if not there is also camera/computer matching and color decks he can pull. He's not going to care what the color is called.

If you're going to get an estimate those would be the guys to address your concerns with.

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 1990 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 and I'm trying to find the paint codes for this truck. I do have the RPO code sticker in the glove compartment. The truck is a two-tone blue with the two-tone pin striping between the colors.

Here's my confusion:

The paint codes on the RPO sticker are WA-L9086 (Lower) and WA-U9624 (Upper).

I have found the "Upper" color to be called Gray Blue, Medium Blue, and Medium Blue Metallic. I've cross-referenced this code across a few different sources and it definitely looks to be the correct code for the year. So, no worries there hopefully.

On the other hand, the "Lower" color does not show up in any of those sources as an optional paint code for this year model truck. When I search for that paint code I come up with a color called "Lt. French Blue Poly". I'm not certain, but it appears this was an optional color on the older square body platform. I can't find any paint samples for that paint code when I search for this year model truck.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the correct color code for the truck? I found color code WA-9264 to be light blue metallic and that's what I believed this color to be but that's not the right code according to the RPO sticker.

Picture of the truck below. The paint is in terrible shape which is why I'm trying to find these codes so I can start getting quotes for a new paint job while I fix all the other issues over the winter.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
For a 1990 GMC fullsize pickup, WA-9086 = medium blue metallic, WA-9624 = light blue metallic

But as Hipster mentioned, the #'s are what's important, not necessarily the names.

Richard

GMC_YA_LATER

Reaction score
Don't get hung up on the name for the colors. The WA# is the final answer. Gm used wa#'s across multiple line so the same color/wa# on a Buick may be called a different color in a catolog.

The painter should be able look up both colors in whatever brand of paint system he uses and if not there is also camera/computer matching and color decks he can pull. He's not going to care what the color is called.

If you're going to get an estimate those would be the guys to address your concerns with.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll get in touch with some local shops and see what they come up with. I was getting really turned around there for a minute digging through whatever info I could find.

GMC_YA_LATER

Reaction score
For a 1990 GMC fullsize pickup, WA-9086 = medium blue metallic, WA-9624 = light blue metallic

But as Hipster mentioned, the #'s are what's important, not necessarily the names.

Richard
The names are what really had me turned around because before I posted I went to my local Chevy/Buick/GMC dealer parts counter and he was actually able to give me a build sheet. That sheet shows code 27U as Medium Sapphire Blue Metallic and code 30L as Medium Blue Metallic. I started with those colors then tried to match them to the codes in the glove compartment and a few hours later I was more confused than when I had started.

Thanks for the help, y'all!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The names do vary, even in the same year. My 97 CCLB was built very early in the year, and I have two VIN reports on it from different companies. One says the color is Light Autumnwood Metallic, which in later years was the GMC name for the Chevrolet color they call pewter metallic. The other report calls the color Rawhide Metallic, which is where the truck's name came from. It's a gold metallic,with maybe a little tan in it. And definitely not pewter! My Burb is that color, so I know it well. The difference in colors is noticeable in this pic of them both.

Attachments

• original_005673c4-ee58-4898-90cb-208de36d7a7c_IMG_20220718_140249.jpg
    original_005673c4-ee58-4898-90cb-208de36d7a7c_IMG_20220718_140249.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 11

GMC_YA_LATER

Reaction score
The names do vary, even in the same year. My 97 CCLB was built very early in the year, and I have two VIN reports on it from different companies. One says the color is Light Autumnwood Metallic, which in later years was the GMC name for the Chevrolet color they call pewter metallic. The other report calls the color Rawhide Metallic, which is where the truck's name came from. It's a gold metallic,with maybe a little tan in it. And definitely not pewter! My Burb is that color, so I know it well. The difference in colors is noticeable in this pic of them both.
Those are some nice trucks! I see you also have champagne taste! Here's a picture of my 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT. I believe the color is called Silver Birch Metallic.

Attachments

• PXL_20221021_210700669.jpg
    PXL_20221021_210700669.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 4

GMC_YA_LATER

Reaction score
Love your tag, by the way. My first ride was a barn door 1997 GMC Suburban K1500. It was a metallic green color with 20's and all aftermarket lights with a stinger style hood scoop and TV's in the headrests with a DVD player. I thought I was big pimpin' in that yacht lol

LCALDERA98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i work at ford and people call all the times for paint codes all we need is the vin number not sure if its the same process for GM but i would try calling your local GM parts department and ask them if they can lookup the paint code for you

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I would think they can; the information from the VIN report has the paint color and option code.