Ran transmission 2 1/2 quarts low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count the number of shifts...Also the whirrling sound may be sun shell making contact with inner dia of the case as a result of splines partially stripping or neck partially torn off the body of the shell. Assuming it is, in fact, coming from the transmission and not something else.

Either way, any noise as you describe if its the trans, means it has to come out. So either pull and rebuild it or put the other one in the bed of your truck back in.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No

Is it not upshifting or does it feel like its in neutral after shifting?
It will upshift really hard but going like 20-30mph the revs are really high, it will not shift after that. I believe it will get stuck in third or second. Also the revs will get so high and it something will start to knock or hit or something i have no idea. This was supposed to be a new transmission with 3k miles on it but i did not install it. Making it clear this started after i attempted to change the rear axle shaft as it was bent but ended up not being able to do so as the replacement axle was about 3 inches shorter than mine. It could be possible that i put something together wrong in the dif as the spider gears fell out when trying to put the axle in, but i doubt it. Could it be for some reason in limp mode? It drove okayish before i took apart the rear end. Actually typing this i might be a dumbass as i just forgot i put it in 4 low to prevent the truck from rolling away when i lifted the rear end up.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok now how do i replace the transfer case fluid as im pretty sure both output seals are bad and when i looked at the rear dif fluid which its seal is also bad only a little under a quart came out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how do i replace the transfer case fluid as im pretty sure both output seals are bad
1. Look up transfer case capacity and fluid type in service manual. Buy at least that much of the correct fluid. (Likely Dexron III H, which doesn't exist any more. "Dex-Merc" is functionally equivalent. But you should verify.)
2. Loosen fill plug.
3. Remove drain plug. Drain fluid into a drainpan and save for drop-off at recycling center.
4. Fix leaks as required.
5. Install drain plug.
6. Install correct amount of the correct fluid via the fill plug hole.
7. Tighten fill plug.

i looked at the rear dif fluid which its seal is also bad only a little under a quart came out.
There's three seals and the rear cover gasket/sealer. Which seal is leaking? Have you checked the others?

1. Look up axle lube specs and capacity info in service manual. Buy at least that much of the correct fluid. (Likely GL5 80W-90, perhaps 75W-90, but you should verify.)
2. Loosen fill plug.
3. Remove rear cover. Drain fluid into a drainpan and save for drop-off at recycling center.
4. Clean magnet stuck to iron housing. Inspect for chunks 'n' pieces of gear teeth or bearing shrapnel.
5. Inspect various gears--ring, pinion, side and spider gears. Low fluid level leads to potential overheating. Assure ALL gears (and bearings) are in usable condition.
6. Repair leaks as required.
7. Install rear cover using gasket or RTV silicone sealer.
8. Install correct amount of the correct fluid via the fill plug hole.
9. Tighten fill plug.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Look up transfer case capacity and fluid type in service manual. Buy at least that much of the correct fluid. (Likely Dexron III H, which doesn't exist any more. "Dex-Merc" is functionally equivalent. But you should verify.)
2. Loosen fill plug.
3. Remove drain plug. Drain fluid into a drainpan and save for drop-off at recycling center.
4. Fix leaks as required.
5. Install drain plug.
6. Install correct amount of the correct fluid via the fill plug hole.
7. Tighten fill plug.

There's three seals and the rear cover gasket/sealer. Which seal is leaking? Have you checked the others?

1. Look up axle lube specs and capacity info in service manual. Buy at least that much of the correct fluid. (Likely GL5 80W-90, perhaps 75W-90, but you should verify.)
2. Loosen fill plug.
3. Remove rear cover. Drain fluid into a drainpan and save for drop-off at recycling center.
4. Clean magnet stuck to iron housing. Inspect for chunks 'n' pieces of gear teeth or bearing shrapnel.
5. Inspect various gears--ring, pinion, side and spider gears. Low fluid level leads to potential overheating. Assure ALL gears (and bearings) are in usable condition.
6. Repair leaks as required.
7. Install rear cover using gasket or RTV silicone sealer.
8. Install correct amount of the correct fluid via the fill plug hole.
9. Tighten fill plug.
Ok so i believe my transfer case calls for dex III as it has the shift lever on the floor. I have dextron VI in my transmission which i believe called for dex III. So does it just take regular transmission fluid?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i should go with dex merc from valvoline instead of the LV from valvoline, correct?
In the transfer case, yes.

Did i mess up by putting LV in my trans instead of dex merc?
I don't know what "LV" is, and I'm too lazy to go research it.

If it's a Low-Viscosity equivalent to Dex VI, it's fine. Dex VI is supposedly backwards-compatible to 1967 or thereabouts IN TRANSMISSIONS (but not other applications.)