Rag Joint Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blazin8556

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^ that's what I tell my wife all the time :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your not understanding what I'm trying to tell you

I get what you're saying. In a 3 U-Joint steering system, you have to support every 3rd U-Joint to keep from looping. The joints allow for such EXCESS movement, that it causes binding.

With the combination joint in the 97-98, it doesn't allow the shaft to move far enough out to cause the other joints to loop (bind). Notice in the Borgeson diagram, they're not supporting the combination joint even after using a shaft with 2 U-Joints in a row.

You must be registered for see images attach

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, with yours, where did you install the borgeson shaft? All under the hood? or does it go thru the firewall?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying. In a 3 U-Joint steering system, you have to support every 3rd U-Joint to keep from looping. The joints allow for such EXCESS movement, that it causes binding.

With the combination joint in the 97-98, it doesn't allow the shaft to move far enough out to cause the other joints to loop (bind). Notice in the Borgeson diagram, they're not supporting the combination joint even after using a shaft with 2 U-Joints in a row.

In this picture the one you have circled still only has a total of two joints though...

The bottom picture is what you'd wind up with in these trucks (97+) with a Jeep shaft. It still needs to be supported...

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not................ A U-Joint.

You're just not going to get it I guess. With a 97+ you will have 3 joints an even your borgensen diagram shows it supporting between the first an second joint even with the combination joint. It's the very last one at the bottom.

To have it like the one you circled on a 97+ you could only add a joint at the steering box end for a total of two joints. Then you'd be correct that it doesn't need supporting because it's only two joints total. some have added just that joint to the stock shaft an it works fine, if you want to spend $110 on the one joint.

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're just not going to get it I guess. With a 97+ you will have 3 joints an even your borgensen diagram shows it supporting between the first an second joint even with the combination joint. It's the very last one at the bottom.

To have it like the one you circled on a 97+ you could only add a joint at the steering box end for a total of two joints. Then you'd be correct that it doesn't need supporting because it's only two joints total. some have added just that joint to the stock shaft an it works fine, if you want to spend $110 on the one joint.

It's you who's not getting it. That joint under the dash in 97-98's is NOT a standard U-Joint. It is a combination vibration reducer joint. Therefore does not qualify as a U-Joint at all.

That being the case. Adding two U-Joints on a Borgeson or an XJ steering shaft will NOT create three in a row. It's two U-Joints and a combination joint.

This... Is a U-Joint

This... Is a combination joint that is NOT a U-Joint

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the last diagram in the picture you posted earlier? It clearly says combination joint an still shows it being supported between two when there is a total of 3 joints. It doesn't matter if its 3 u joints or a combination joint an two regular u joints. 3 joints requires extra support an even your borgensen diagram says so....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny without the factory cover it looks eerily like a u joint...

That's a borgenson combination joint, that according to them accommodates 35 degrees of travel. Guess what a steering u joint (non combination) travels? Why its 35 degrees too. Why do you think they don't even support 97+ with there own shaft? Because they know there will be 3 joints in it an it needs extra support!

So to everyone else, more than two joints requires extra support between two of them regardless of joint type. So on 97+ DONT use the jeep shaft or an aftermarket one...

I'm out....