Radio Ignition interference, '89

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtsniffer

Reaction score
Any fix for ignition sound coming thru radio, more rpm's the higher the pitch.

dirtsniffer

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
89 chevy silverado with stock radio snd casette with eq.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm, stock setup (looks super clean too!) - I'm going to ask when was the last time it got spark plug wires and are they quality wires... and you might suspect the alternator too, even though I'm sure it's charging just fine. A real starter/alternator shop can test it effectively for whether it's the cause.

If it was an aftermarket system I'd point to poor grounding. Hear the rpm-matched speaker whining on aftermarket stereos often when people splice or use the adapter harness where the aftermarket setup is using the original radio wiring's power and ground along with a separate amplifier. I power/ground them all to their own distribution block off a fused dedicated run from the battery.

Richard

dirtsniffer

Reaction score
Put new plug wires and cap on and noise is about half as bad as before. Equilzer lit up one day (never tried a tape) but never pay ant attention to it really, may be still lighting up. Any after marker options that fit the control spot on the dash?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd still have a real starter/alternator shop test your alternator; might be the source of the rest of the noise.

The only aftermarket solution I've seen for the 88-94 radio control spot is a storage pocket, and there's a couple varieties of them. An old school one that has slots for cassette tapes (loose; not in their cases), another is just a simple pocket, and AMI makes one that has a lip at the bottom so stuff doesn't fly out when you mash the pedal. That one is my choice; holds most aftermarket stereo remotes without an issue, and room for a couple gauges if you wish.

AMI also makes the best dash kit for mounting an aftermarket (single DIN) stereo. It's slightly deeper than the other brands so they're less likely to bottom out before seating properly, and the colors are usually a better match.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard