Radiator and Temp Issues Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1997 K1500 with 5.7 Vortec reg cab. I just recently swapped radiators due to a leak, and upgraded to a 2 1/4" thickness radiator compared to the stock 1" radiator. Since then, I've noticed that my temperature gauge in the dash has been acting different (I've tested the gauge, the gauge itself isn't the problem at this point). Initially upon initial heat up, it'll get up to 210 and then drop back down to between the quarter mark and 210. Then it'll drop down closer to that quarter mark and stay there.

Is the larger radiator causing this constant lower temperature or is it a thermostat issue? The thermostat was replaced with a Napa 195 degree one back in October of last year. Next step is to get a scan tool and find out the temperature off the other sensor.

Any relevant thought will be greatly appreciated! You guys have so much great stuff on this forum.

Nathan

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 97 5.7 L kinda does the same thing. Mine has thr tow package, so a bigger radiator is OE. I run a 170 thermostat brcause it is hot bown here, and my truck runs better at cooler temps. When the truck hasn't been run (first thing in the moring ) I watch mu temp gauge do basically the same thing you are describing. When the thermostat opens, and the enginr gets water, it cools off the engine, and the temp gauge comes down. The thermostat has a shut temp where it closes but I'm notsure what the range from open to close is. IMO you are just seeing your radiator at work.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 5.7 L kinda does the same thing. Mine has thr tow package, so a bigger radiator is OE. I run a 170 thermostat brcause it is hot bown here, and my truck runs better at cooler temps. When the truck hasn't been run (first thing in the moring ) I watch mu temp gauge do basically the same thing you are describing. When the thermostat opens, and the enginr gets water, it cools off the engine, and the temp gauge comes down. The thermostat has a shut temp where it closes but I'm notsure what the range from open to close is. IMO you are just seeing your radiator at work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this going on, so it's not abnormal ha. Is it an issue to the engine to be running that cool? My only real concern is extra wear on the engine.