R12 and R134A...1991 or 1994 evaporator...Whats the difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently undertook the big project of replacing my cracked dash and decided to overhall the HVAC module while I'm in there replacing the heater core, evaporator and all of the actuators. My truck sat for a few years before I bought it. Still has the R12 system and its shot. I have tried to get it working but the R12 I had leaked out. There is also a ton of debris in the evap blocking the flow of air.

So I decided that the easiest way to have a new, well performing A/C was to replace the entire system since most of it is in poor shape anyway. My rationale was just buy all replacement parts for a 1994 CK1500 even though mine is a 1991. 1994 should have come factory with R134A so buying the parts should bolt right up and function like OEM rather than a R134A retrofit which seem to have mixed results.

AC Delco lists an Evaporator for 1994 up GMT 400 but does not list a part number for 1993 and older. 4 seasons has one part number for 1988-1993 and another for 1994 and newer. I have physically inspected both evaporators and cannot for the life of my tell the difference. Both look the same, are same size and have same connections. Now I know the 1994 and newer would have come with R134A but how does that effect the evaporator.

Which one should I use, the 1991 part number or the 1994 or does it even matter? My main concern, is that I don't want to have a situation where I have some 1991 parts and some 1994 parts and for some reason they don't fit together. I was planning on buying a 1994 compressor, condenser, drier, lines etc. Thanks for the input.

dollarjim

Reaction score
Was going to do the same thing but found out the fitting are different sizes.