Quote for Replacing Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seger

Reaction score
What would be considered a good price to have the Rear Main Seal replaced on my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 with the 5.7 Liter Vortec Engine and 4L60E Transmission? I want to know a good price quote specific to my vehicle. Also is it worth doing this in the long run or is there anything you can use to help repair the seal such as a re-sealer fluid that actually has proven to work that is a better solution? Anyone that has experience with this and wants to chime in please do so.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had it done on my red truck (4.3L V6, 4L60E) about six or seven years ago at a GM dealer. IIRC it cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $800. I'm sure you could get it done much cheaper at an independent shop. Still holding strong, that truck doesn't leak a drop of anything.

Seger

Reaction score
Did you just have the rear main seal replaced df2x4 or did you have them do anything else?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They will (quote you book time) for a rear main that says you have to remove the trans to get it outta the way..... in reality the trans only has to move back about 6 inches to do the job... done many that way when doing mechanic work... really not that bad of a job...

sent from what use to be a great country...