questions on DIY windshield removal/install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
have fun is all i gotta say, none of those tools worked worth a darn for me when i pulled both my camaros windshields i ended up using bike cable a head gun and a hack saw blade. to get the trim back on apply a light coat of the same sealant and stick it on there.

the tool windhsield people use is cool its basically a sawzall with a putty knife type end. also id pick up some sand paper or grind wheel for any loose rust down there, giv it a quick coat of pain of any resurfaced rust, make sure your surfaces are nice and clean and then apply your glue, put the windshield on and then the trim.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
remember if you have rust around the window most companies will NOT put a new windshield in, this happened to my dad when he wanted a company to put a windshield in his 72 olds cutlass a couple years back. i guess it is a liability for them

not a liability, rust means the glue wont adhere as often and then when the widnshield leaks customers complain but theres nothing they can do about it. my windhsield guy came out to my house and did mine for $120 as i had references to people they knew, he also said that theres a little rust and asked if id like to prep it or else the warranty is voided, i said id like to take care of it and he came back the next day.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Yup, I figured as much. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a truck with the dash removed to make it easier. :D

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ull never cut a windshield out and not crack it with that pull tool, plus theres a trick to using it to actually make it cut easy if not there a pain to get to even cut.

You need the flat blade on the end of the sawzall and a sprayer with soap water in it or glass cleaner to make it slide. You have to put pressure on the glass when you cut the bottom or top loose but not to much or itll crack. And youll never cut a window out one of these trucks and not mess up the side rubber pieces.

tp install it you need 2 tubes of eurathane and a battery operated caulk gun to make it easier. Theres a primer they use to actually make the eurathane stick to surface rust and theres an activator that makes the eurethane really adhere

You can get a glass around here installed for 100-125

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I think the guys are right, maybe let a pro atleast install it. Specially at 125-150...cheap insurance right there. But let me know how hard it is to remove it when you do it. I need to remove mine and the rear window when i get my cab painted. Id like to remove it myself, i dont really need to save my windshield though. Just dont want to make a mess

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i remember pulling the windshield in my boss 79 ta. he said if it makes a mess its fine. that was all a joke until the ac went on and it started blowing glass chunks at him and his wife..........

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I was quoted $200 for a new window.

I'll see if I can cut one out at the JY, otherwise I'll have to order a new one.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
id call around a few more places. ask an old timer or two if they know any places? i kept getting quoted 200+ for mine without insurance and blah blah blah. then i called a guy some random stranger told me to call hes like yea 125 installed and well come out to you.