Stock exhaust manifold bolts kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LarryZ

Reaction score
Hello to all. I have a 1989 GMC Sierra C1500 extended cab long bed with the 5.7 V8 engine. I am looking for a source for stock exhaust manifold to engine block mounting kit. That is the one stud, bolts, washers and french locks. Does anyone know of a source for these? Also a source for higher quality exhaust gaskets than the paper and foil stock ones. Thanks for any help.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider a local GM stealership parts department.

If the manifold is machined flat and smooth, and the cylinder head mating surface is flat and smooth...why use a gasket? Chevy installed exhaust manifolds metal-to-metal on the cylinder heads for decades.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did yours have French locks? Mine don't, had since new. And there available most parts houses, jegs, summit, just look around.

LarryZ

Reaction score
Yes mine had French locks from the factory. All the applications for all the available sources do not source them being for the 5.7 engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
French Locks fell out of favor when folks figured-out that since the metal wasn't hardened, it would distort from torque loads and thermal cycling over time, and cause loss of bolt tension. The metal of the French Lock under the bolt-head would "squeeze out".

French Locks are pretty-much a waste of effort.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did yours have French locks? Mine don't, had since new. And there available most parts houses, jegs, summit, just look around.
French lock? I've never heard of them. And google isn't telling me what they are either.

* Edit. Never mind I changed my search labeling and found them. Never knew that was what they where called.