question for some frame bulding guys... for a trailer what size steel should i use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well i will be building another truck bed trailer here real soon. the last one i built i dont feel i did a great job on since i reused alot of the stock frame which was a PITA welding to no matter how much i grinded at it before welding! so this time im building a whole new frame.
my question is should i go with same thickness and shape steel as factory? like a C channeling or should i go with a box frame?
i would like to use alittle shorter steel if i could because i do plan on lowering the suspension to match close enough atleast to my truck 6inch drop in rear. i already have stock axle and suspension mostly, need to grab a spring since one of the ones i bought is bad. but i got some belltech drop shackles and also some tahoe hangers so i should be able to do a simple 4inch drop very easy and if i simply lift the spring mounting points i should be able to get another 2inches of drop i believe and that smaller frame would give me more axle clearance. and i have thought about just doing a custom flip kit but either way i have to do some custom work brackets on the frame. but the mounts really arent in question.... i can simply make larger mounting points for the springs with some thick steel plate bolted or welded to the frame.

im just curious what thickness yall think i should use for tubbing or if i can stick with C channeling. which ever would be strong enough still and if posible the reasonably priced as well! i have yet to go to my steel shop and see what he has or price out any steel yet. i still need to bust out measuring tape and paper to draw up some trailer plans to see how much steel i really need so i buy the right amount the first time and not have to go back for more!
i figure 4 cross beams would be enough for the long bed to stiffen up the frame even without the truck bed ontop if i ever chose or forced to sell the bed off it this way i can keep the trailer as a open trailer with matching axle/wheels ;)
simply two infront and two in back of the axle. maybe a extra 3rd infront where i weld on the front V tongue and maybe put a mid sized toolbox on front.
i think the last tube steel i used was to thin but i never noticed any bends when i used it BUT i never hauled that much. mostly just some furnature and a load of mulch... so i never really pushed it!

i can weld just fine and i do have a large welder to thats no problem im just not sure how thick i should go steel wise or shape wise. i figure square tubing would be the strongest over the C obviously but how thick should i get it that would be strong enough and also not super overkill! as we all know super overkill is to much and always costs more money!

this is what i got so far to start out with.
You must be registered for see images attach

i just dont ever want to have to rent one of these dam uhaul trailers again.LOL

this is what i built last time. a rusty mess! wish id have just told the guy the bed was to rusty! i did alot of filler work with fiberglass bondo and cutting and painting and shaping to make the fenders look normal but they probably would have never been paint worthy and wouldnt have lasted IMO. i just use my last project as a learning experience with what not to do and dont settle for rusty junk. this time im spending the extra buck so it lasts!

i just think that tube was to large and also to thin. in all honesty its what i had laying around the shop from a previous project my dad had extra tubing from. im sure it will do fine for light duty. but for this trailer im looking more of a long time usage trailer for anything i need. from gravel/mulch/smaller mowers/junkyard parts ect ect... with or without the bed on it. so im gonna be keeping this one for along time since i found such a awesome truck bed for this project with little to no rust on it! its only downfall was the fender flares. so after i build the frame and all and get it road worthy and MVIN for it then i have to decide to slap flares back on it OR fill the holes. tho right now im aiming more towards filling the holes and just throwing the flares in a corner in my trailer.... ;)

Last edited:

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Pretty thick to say the least. a good 5/16's thick metal should be pretty good start. even up to 3/8ths

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your building the entire frame from scratch, .0120 wall 2x4 tube should be plenty strong. How much weight do you realistically anticipate putting in the trailer? To give you an idea, I tow my 24ft Grady White on a dual axle galvie trailer that is nothing more than 2x4 square tube that measures about 3/16 thickness. If using C- channel, you will want to go a little thicker.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
Ya the old trailer was not that great.... I just started out with crap that could only polish up so much to say the least.LOL
I don't plan on putting awhole lot on this trailer. The most weight it would prbably see is aload of gravel inside the bed pilled up like I did the mulch before. Not sure how much that would weigh tho.
I go to the steel shop today after work to check out what he has available for me. So I guess I need to start guessing how much metal I need on my lunch break.... woops forgot to actually measure the bed yesterday. O well I should beable to guess close and just get extra....

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ok well i got some steel now. 1/8inch thick 2x4 tubing. 64feet of it which should be enough. cost about 308bucks so not to bad. i would have liked to have the next step 3/16th thickness but it was dam near twice the price!
1/8inc thick. $4.50ft. the thicker 3/16 was 7bucks a foot, and 1/4inch thick was $8.75ft. i just didnt want to spend my whole check on just steel!
but this stuff looks like it would be strong enough for anything id be hauling on/in this thing!
im sure ill have plenty of scrap to do extra bracing to overbrace the dam thing more than i already planned on! just because i guessed dimensions and rounded way up! before i cut any tubing i might just buy some cheap 2x4wood and make a quick frame templet just to take out any quess work!
i got two 8ft pieces, and four 12ft pieces.
and its actually the same thickness as the other steel i used on my last trailer. i guess it was the 2x6 size that made it look thinner wall. i think it will do just fine!